10 | nowhere to run

Start from the beginning

She glanced over to the desk where the Queen's gold bracelet sat, the girl having set it there when she let her hair down to shower. She remembered earlier that day, when she had gracefully pulled her hair back for her. She also remembered seeing her genuinely smile, a dimple even forming on her left cheek. Pursing her lips, Lily turned away and also remembered her violence, how her anger flared so easily, how she threatened to kill her. She was a monster, one she needed to flee from as soon as possible.

Seeing that the clock's hands were resting upon 1:59, she took another deep but quiet breath and walked over to her bed, crouching down and reaching behind it to take out the black pistol hiding behind it. She paused for a moment to look at it, turning it over in her hands and letting her fingers trace the side of the barrel, down to the trigger and then to the safety. Chewing her lip, she momentarily paused as if trying to decide if she was still going to go through with this or not, before she clicked the safety off, the sound sounding like an alarm in her ears telling her it was time to move.

So she did. Standing up and grabbing one of the pillows from the bed to use as a silencer, she held the pistol in her hand expertly, tiptoeing her way to the door slowly. She paused when she reached the door, waiting to see if the guard outside had heard her walking around and would come to check it out. When no one came to the outside of the door after a few seconds, she mentally prepared herself before slowly opening it, clenching her teeth as it loudly squeaked open.

"Hey!" She heard a deep bark of a voice echo from down the hall, recognizing it as the voice of the same guard who always stood watch in their hallway.

Holding her breath, she quickly slipped behind the open door and stilled all her movements, listening to his thudding footsteps near the door at a determined pace.

"How the hell do you keep opening this damn do—"

His voice, having grown closer until it was right beside the door, allowed her to be prepared for when the guard would step through the door. And when he did, she moved fast, extremely fast for a human, cutting his words off by pushing the pillow right against his face and the gun into the pillow, not hesitating even a millisecond before squeezing the trigger.

POOM.

The pillow did not help the sound of the bullet exploding through the barrel and traveling right through the feathers of the dense pillow, breaking right through the vampire guard's skull and travelling through his head, coming out the other side with blood travelling close behind it. In a moment way too fast for Lily's perception, the bullet hit against the wall weakly, slowed from having passed through two objects, and right after it came a huge splatter of sickeningly black blood all across the white wall, staining it like pen ink.

As soon as she had pulled the trigger, the sound of bullet exploded right into her ears at a painful decibel. Everything suddenly went quiet, a horrible ringing arising in her eardrums and seeming to split her brain in half, similar to how the guard's brains were dripping down the back of his head as his dead body slowly fell to the ground, the muffled thud reverberating in the girl's throbbing ears.

The pillow fell from her hands as she placed them over her ears, opening her mouth in a silent cry as she doubled over and shook her head violently, trying to shake the piercing ringing from her ears. Remembering the urgency of her mission, she stumbled over the pillow and the feet of the dead guard who lay in a pile of his own cerebral blood, her vision blurring as her own footsteps pounded inside her head. Breathing hard and trying to focus, she felt her way past the two doors, her hands lining the wall as she made her deaf way down the hall, hitting her temple with her hand to try and return her hearing.

The underwater sound slowly began to fade, the ringing quieting and being replaced with the sound of her hasty breaths and stumbling footsteps. She suddenly realized that she was running full speed, and as that realization hit her, so did her hearing. Her ears popping in adjustment to being able to hear again, she quickly found Jasmine's bedroom door and kicked it open with her foot, revealing a frightened-looking Jasmine standing behind it.