{11}

{ M a s o n }

"I don't want to go inside." I tell Justin and lean my head against the cool glass of the car window.
"Mason, you've got to go home."
"Right. I don't have anywhere else to stay." I roll my eyes. "I'd rather sleep by my fathers grave."
"Mas! Don't say that!" Justin shouts.
"So they could pull me under too, it's my fault Carter died!"
"Don't be so morbid! Stop blaming yourself Mason. You turned from flirty, to morbid and torn apart in a split second."
"Morbid?! My little brother and father died Justin! My life hasn't been handed to me on a gold platter!" I yell. This is quickly turning into an argument. I don't want to argue with Justin, he's provoking me though.
"And mine has?" He raises his eyebrow. "You're just a Cali girl, what would you know?" He snaps. That's it. I unbuckle my seat belt. Thank god he's pulled over.
"I'm walking." I open the door and slam it before Justin can stop me, I'm running, pulling the sides of his hoodie closer to my skin.

{ J u s t i n }

I storm onto the bus, passing all of my band members and going straight to the fridge for a beer.
Why did I say that? I regret it so much.
"Could've crashed that car." I growl under my breath.
"Woah dude, are you okay?" Jack asks.
"Me?! Oh I'm fine!" I say sarcastically. Kellin stares at me blankly, but using his hands to tell me to elaborate. "I messed up, Mason was vulnerable and I messed up. She was a mess and I told her she was just a Cali girl and asked what she'd know about anything. She got out of the car!"
"Oh man." Kellin says quietly, looking at his feet.
"She unbuckled her seat belt and got out of the fucking car! I messed up big time!"
"You pissed her off really bad." Gabe says.
"I know. Thanks for the encouragement." I roll my eyes. "I just didn't expect the night to turn like that, it was going so great, better than you could know." I think of when I kissed her, it was passionate and full of something...Need? I needed it, Steph barely kissed me or did anything. I needed Mason more than anything and I blew it.
"Ahh. I get ya." Kellin laughs. "She'll come around, anyway I heard Cali likes to do pop up shows in this local bar, and I've heard Miss Mason Staplynn shows up quite a lot."
"Really?" I ask, raising my eyebrow. He nods. "Sounds good, you'll get to hear her voice."

{ M a s o n }

Lili: MAS YOU HAVE TO PLAY THE SHOW TOMORROW NIGHT AT LAGUNA!!
Nat: YES YOU MUST!
Me: Whyyy?
Lili: Because you can sing, damn it do we have to go over this again?
Nat: THE CROWD GOES WILD FOR YOU!!
Me: FINEEE.
Nat: You know the manager keeps the first slot for you, for 20 minutes.
Me: I know what I'm doing girlies, I'll pick you up tomorrow then!

It was so hard not telling them about Justin, he doesn't care. He's a rockstar! The report was right, it was just a stupid fling with a Cali girl. I was just stupid enough to believe it wasn't.

Justin: Mason, answer me please.
Justin: Mas. Please.
Justin: I know, I screwed up. Just pick up the phone.
Justin: Please.
Me: I'd rather not, you've had your fling remember? See you around.

He got me mad, so it's time to play a little game with him.
*
My alarm blares and I shoot straight up, remembering that I have the show tonight at Laguna and that I have to pick up my two best friends for school.
I go over to my wardrobe, a simple outfit is on the cards, I'm gonna be looking better tonight.
I put on my favourite oversized shirt, some leggings and black converse. I pull my hair up into a messy bun, pull my fringe out of it and smile.
"Sis, can I get a ride to school today?" Hayden asks as he comes in my room.
"Sure thing, I'm almost ready."
*
I pull into the school car park and cut off the engine. "See you later, bro." I smile to him.
"You too sis. Thanks." He jogs over to his friends.
"Let's go ladies." I wink and walk confidently towards the school building. Nat rushes off to extra science tutoring and Lili links her arm through mine. "You're happy today. Why?"
"I'm getting Justin off my mind." I tell her. She raises her perfectly shaped eyebrows. Slowly, I explain it to her. She's shocked more than anything. "It was just a fling for him. We have exams soon anyway, I can't have him ruling my life." I say, trying to convince myself that it's the right thing.
"Mason Staplynn." Braden falls into a walk beside me. "How I missed seeing your pretty face."
"Is that so, Braden Jones?"
"Yes it is. Are you performing at Laguna tonight?" He asks. I nod. "I'll see you there then." He winks. I laugh to myself.
"See you in Art, Lili." I smile and turn left towards the music studios. They let me in here whenever I want. Lucky for me, I have Miss Kay today. I open the door. "Hey Miss." Or so I thought. "Hi, random person?"
"Sit, aren't you late anyway? I'm Mr Cyan." He smiles. I'm suddenly not that bothered about Miss Kay being absent.
"Well, hello to you too. I'm Mason."
"Miss Kay told me a lot about you, you're supposed to be talented." He raises his eyebrows and crosses his arms, as if he's challenging me. Is he challenging me? The class he's teaching is watching us. I'm watching him. How could a teacher be this hot?
"I suppose so. I didn't realise you were teaching, I come in here to practice." I gesture towards the class of 13 year olds sat in front of us. "I came to put together my set for tonight, I'm performing at Laguna again."
"A performer? Take your time, Mason." He smiles.
*
His class left maybe twenty minutes ago and we keep awkwardly locking eyes.
"Is there a problem, Mr Cyan?" I ask, looking up to find him sat on the desk in front of me.
"You intrigue me, that's all. I'd love to hear you perform."
"I don't usually unless it's at the open Mic nights Laguna has."
"I'll make sure to be there then."
"Stalker." I laugh.
"Who could blame me?"
"Are you trying to admit something?"
"Don't push it, Mason. Now go." He dismisses me, I don't pack up quickly, I want to savour my moment.
"Push what sir?" I ask innocently and brush past him.
This guy was so familiar, who was he like?
A fresh heart break.
Mr Justin Hills.