Chapter two: The Hogwarts feast

The train finally got to Hogwarts after what seemed like eternity for Draco, he just wanted to see her beautiful milk chocolate eyes. As soon as the train was at a complete stop, he got his stuff and almost ran so he might be able to catch a glimpse of Hermione.

---------

"Hey, are you okay Hermione? You've seemed off all day." Ron asked as he pulled her back inside the compartment after the others left. His hands still gripping her arms, not in a protective boyfriend way, but as if he owned her.

"Yes Ron, I'm fine. It just feels kind of weird being back here after what happened." trying to pull away from him, but his grip got tighter instead.

"Hermione, baby, please, tell me whats wrong." he said, slightly raising his voice.

"Honestly Ron, I'm fine." she said with more force in her voice, "Now will you let go of me!"

----------

He could hear her voice, it was strained. He heard her yell, "LET GO OF ME RON!" He ran towards her voice quickly, he opened the compartment door to find Ron holding Hermione against the wall trying to kiss her. He quickly grabbed Ron and threw him off of Hermione, "She said let go Weasley!" he gently grabbed Hermione's arm and guided her to the door.

He and Hermione walked in silence to the boats that lead them to the doors of Hogwarts. He kept stealing glances at her, she looked terrified, her arms were wrapped tightly around her body. "Thank you." she whispered.

"Of course Granger, we may have not gotten along in the past, but I would never let him hurt you. I also want to change that." he said calmly with sencernece in his voice.

"Change what?" she asked curiously.

"How we never got along, and I know that some of the things I did are unforgivable, but I want to start over with you. I want to be friends." he said, hopeful.

----------

She stopped walking briefly, not long enough for him to notice though. Her heart sorred at the thought of her and Draco being friends. "I would love to Malfoy." she smiled at him.

"Really?"  he said, shocked, but happy.

"Yes really." she said teasingly as she stopped walking and faced him, "Hi, I'm Hermione Granger. What's your name?" she asked with her hand outstretched.

He took her hand with the goofiest grin on his face, "Hi, I'm Draco Malfoy. Would you like to be my friend?" 

"I would love to Draco." she replied with a grin just  as goofy as Draco's. They continued walking and got in the boat alone. "So, how was your summer?"

"It was nice, I got to spend a lot of time with my mom, and not be worried about stuff anymore." he replied, softly, "How was your summer? I assume you spent it at the Burrow?"

"Yeah I did, but for  some reason, it just felt different then past summers. And I know That it's partly because of what happened at the end of the school year, but it was more than just that. I can't really explain the feeling." she said looking over at him to find that he was watching, not with the possessive look that Ron was giving her earlier, but with a want in his eyes, like he wanted her to be his. Merlin Hermione! He doesn't like you!Your friends now! Be thankful for that! She mentally kicked herself for thinking that, although her heart wanted it to be true. 

"Oh, well, you can try and explain it to me. I'd be happy to listen." he said, with a hopeful smile on his face.

"Okay, well, you know how me and Ron are dating?" she paused, waiting for him to nod before going on, "Well, at first, whenever he would put his arms around me, I would get butterflies, but now, I don't really feel anything. I suppose that is what felt most off over the summer. I think part of me knows that I shouldn't be with him, that I'm meant to be with someone else. Does that make any sense to you?"

"Yeah, that actually does make sense. I know how you feel, it was the same with me and Pansy, part of me knew that I didn't want to be with her, but the other part of me said that I had too" he paused, realizing that they were already out of the boat, and standing in front of the huge doors of Hogwarts. "Ready to go in?"

Hermione took a deep breath, "Yeah, I think I am. Thank you Draco, it feels nice to talk to someone who won't judge me because I'm talking about their best friends or brother." she smiled warmly at him

"Of course Hermione, it does feels nice though." he smiled back at her.

"Wow. You just used my first name. And to think, this whole time I just thought you couldn't pronounce it." she said with a teasing laugh, bumping her shoulder into his arm, because of him being taller than her.

"Oh haha, very funny. But now that I think about it, I don't really know why I've never called you by your first name." he said bumping her back, with a smile on his face. "Okay, we should probably go inside now." he said laughing.

"Yeah, we should" she said, laughing with him as he opened the door for them. "Wow, it somehow looks even more magical than our first day." she said with a sigh.

"Yeah, it does." he said looking down at her, smiling at the amazed look on her face.

----------

"Hey Hermione, why does Malfoy keep staring at you?" Ginny asked with a small giggle, only Hermione noticed.

She turned around just in time to see Draco turn bright red and turn away at the Slytherin table. "Oh, yeah, we're friends now." she replied smoothly and calmly as she turned back around with a smirk on her face.

"WHAT?!?" Ron yelled, almost spitting his drink out.

"Yes, Ronald! Am I not allowed to choose my friends either? Or is that another thing that you have control over because your my boyfriend!" she shouted back at him, getting up from the tabe and storming out to the hallway.

"Ron, what is she talking about?" Ginny yelled at him.

"Nothing, I swear! Oh look, Malfoy's getting up to go follow her, just great." he muttered and Draco got up to follow Hermione. He started to get up and follow her, but Harry pulled him back down to sit on the seat. "Let her go Ron, she's obviously mad at you. Give her some space." Ron stubbornly sat back down and continued to eat his food.

----------

"Hey, Hermione, are you okay? You don't have to talk yet, if you don't want to." he said as he sat down next to her on the stairs.

"Thanks Draco, but I don't think I'm ready to talk yet. Is that okay?" she said, tears starting to fall down her cheeks. 

"Of course. Take all the time you need." he said, wiping the tears from her cheeks. He felt his heart skip a bear when she put her head on his shoulder, still crying. He put his arm around her and rubbed her back while she just sat there crying.

--5 minutes later--

"Hey sweetheart, I hate to interrupt your crying session, but the feast is almost over, their going to be come flooding out those doors any minute now." Draco said quietly, wiping the last of her tears away.

Hermione slowly sat up, her eyes a little red and puffy from crying, but still as beautiful as ever he thought. "Thank you so much Draco." she said quietly with a small smile, slowly sitting up.

"Anytime, and if you feel like talking about it later, I'm right here." he said smiling down at her. She smiled back, making his heart fly. They got up and Draco gave her a hug. "It's going to be okay Hermione. If your heart isn't in it, then get out. Okay?"

"Okay, thanks Draco." she said, squeezing him one more time before breaking the hug and walking into the Gryffindor common room. 

"Merlin, I'm falling to hard, to fast." he muttered to himself before walking back down to the Slytherin common rooms.