The reminder of Mason's presence brought me back to reality, and I realized with surprise that my dad had not seemed to notice my wings at all.

Dad scowled. "Hailey, I love you, but I swear to God, if you left with that boy-"

"Dad!" I cut him off, embarrassed. "No! Plus, Mason's like twenty-three or something. A bit too old for me."

"I'm twenty-four, actually. And I have a girlfriend," Mason said. "I promise you, sir, I am only here to ensure you're daughter's safety."

"Well," My dad seemed unconvinced. "You two better come in, looks like I've got a lot to catch up on. Notably, how come my teenage daughter disappeared without a trace with some stupid excuse, only to show up weeks later with a random stranger. If I wasn't so glad to see you safe and home again, you don't know how much trouble you'd be in."

I swallowed. I wondered how well my dad would take the whole 'having wings' story.

My dad nodded for us to go inside, and I gestured to Mason, who seemed unsure of what to do, to follow me.

On the way to the living room, I caught a glimpse of the disorderly kitchen and winced. If there was one part of the house that was never messy, it was the kitchen. Guilt threatened to make me cry again.

"Daddy, did Mommy ever tell you... About her family?"

He took a second to answer. "Yes, but I told you before, Hailey, her dad was the only one still alive at the time of our wedding, and he wasn't able to come."

"That's where I was." I decided to be straightforward about it. "Grandpa, that is Mommy's dad, finally learned where I lived, and I decided to go see him."

Daddy narrowed his eyes, and I realized he probably wasn't going to think very highly of Grandpa for that.

"Daddy, there's something I don't think Mommy ever told you. A family secret, of a sort."

It was impossible to pinpoint what my dad was thinking, but I did catch him sending a quick look in Mason's direction.

"He's not related to us, but he does know, too. Wait, we're not related, right?"

Mason shook his head. "No, I'm not related to you. Which is why, if you don't mind, I'd like to take a look around the neighborhood for a few minutes."

"Uh, sure?"

"I'll be right outside."

We heard the front door shut, and my dad asked, "So, who is that anyway?"

"Grandpa wanted someone to make sure I got home without problems. He's pretty serious around me, so I haven't been able to find out much about him."

There was a moment of silence.

"So," I started again. "About that family secret..."

"Go on."

"I don't know how to say it other than be completely upfront about it, but I'm afraid if I do you'll think I'm lying, trying to make up some stupid story to cover up my running away, or something."

My dad wrapped his hands around my own and looked at me in the eyes. "Hailey, we're a family. We trust each other. Just spit it out."

"Ikindahavewings," I mumbled.

"Hailey, articulate."

"I kind of have wings?"

There was a long awkward moment where my dad just looked at me without saying anything.

"I promise it's true, Daddy! I can show you; I can fly and everything."

My dad dropped his head in his hands.