Lost in wonder at lucky I am to have her in my bed, here now, lying alongside me, I run my fingers along her body. I like the smoothness of her skin and the tautness of her body, of course, and the gentle weight of her on my side and hip and leg and shoulder. But what moves me so deeply that morning is the solid reality of her presence: it seems in that long moment to be vital to me, as important and fundamental as eating and sleeping and breathing.

By stroking her gently, I accidentally wake her up. She stirs and nuzzles my neck drowsily through my hair. I hold her to me and whisper in her ear, 'It's OK, it's early. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you. Go back to sleep.' She shifts her weight against me, our naked bodies rubbing together in a comforting sense of companionship, and I feel her drift off again before I too sink back into sleep.

***

It is almost nine o'clock when I reawaken, and Diana has already got up. She tends to get up early, even on weekends, and I often wake up to find myself alone in bed. Sometimes she brings us both a hot drink back to bed, but often I'll find her sitting quietly reading, waiting for me to get up and make breakfast. It amuses me that she would never make us breakfast herself, and is quite happy to sit there waiting for me. She never disturbs me, or wakes me up deliberately, and I occasionally wonder what she'd do if I had a really long lie-in (even though I know I'd probably never really do that to her.) This morning, I listen to hear if she's coming back, but it doesn't sound like it, so I slide out of bed and find a long t-shirt to pull on, then open the curtains to an already sunny day. I stretch happily, finding the worries from earlier have more or less evaporated with the dawn, and pad downstairs.

Diana is sitting on the sofa in her pyjamas, reading another of my university text books. She yawns as she watches me walk towards the kitchen, then chuckles. 'Sorry, that wasn't because of you.' I twist over the edge of the sofa and kiss her on the mouth, liking the way she casually responds, turning it into something lazily sexy. There's a strong taste of unhurried desire in the kiss, and it goes on several moments longer than I expected. As I'd only really kissed her in passing, my weight is slightly awkwardly distributed and I rest a hand on her shoulder and shift my weight onto one hip. She reaches up to hold a thick bunch of my hair away from my face and 'mmm's into my mouth, the vibrations running from her lips and tongue on my lips down through my body. My nipples are suddenly sensitive under the soft t-shirt and my insides tighten in anticipation. Between my legs I begin to prickle in arousal.

We break the kiss slowly. As our gaze holds for a second, I see Diana's eyes look serious behind the obvious glint of lust. I smile and rub my nose on hers. 'OK?'

She closes her eyes and kisses my lips softly for a second, then re-opens her eyes and sighs lightly as she nods. 'Were you going to put the kettle on?'

'Mmm-hmm. Coffee?'

'Please.' She nods. 'Shall we take it back to bed?' She stretches slowly, uncrossing her legs, and watches me straighten up. I see her casually run her eyes over the shape of my breasts in the t-shirt, and over my bare legs below where the hem rests mid-thigh. But then I'm getting off on the shape of her body in her pyjamas as she stretches, and the flush of pink at her bare throat which tells me she's turned on, so it's all fair.

I stroke a bunch of my hair, just brushing my breast with my wrist to draw attention to the bump of my erect nipple in the material. She stares at my breasts again for a long moment, and I tingle with mounting excitement. She slides a hand between her slightly open legs, high up, and I can tell her arm is lightly pressing against her crotch. I lick my lips at the thought of her getting hot and wet. 'Good idea.' My voice betrays my arousal, as I turn and go in to the kitchen.

I hear her get up from the sofa and follow me, and I hold my breath as I set the coffee machine going. She comes up behind me and hugs me back on to her, letting me rest my head on her shoulder. I like the feel, the presence, of her body, and the way it feels so right and comfortable to be in her arms. I press back and feel the heat of her arousal against my bum through the material of my t-shirt and her pyjamas, and her breasts are rubbing excitingly against my shoulders, and the warm pressure of her hands as they clasp mine on my stomach makes me throb with anticipation of them moving up my body to my breasts, or down my body to between my legs...but through the heat of our mutual arousal, the throbbing sexuality of our relationship, there is a strong sense of comfort and affection and mutual security. I feel that our relationship is changing, shifting to become one of mutually reliant companionship...still very physical, still charged with that irresistible sexuality, but where the love-making is now an expression not primarily of our desire to have each other but of our desire to be with each other, share ourselves completely.

In a rush of affection, I turn my head and nuzzle Diana's neck, kissing her soft, sweet skin lightly. She sighs and hugs me tighter. 'Alright, Fiona?'

'Mmmmm.' I snuggle against her. 'I was just thinking how nice this feels. How comfortable we feel together.'

I feel her breathe in sharply, but I don't think it's a bad sign. She lets the breath out slowly, through my hair. 'Hmmmm. Comfortable is a good word.' She pauses carefully. 'As long as we don't completely lose that...um...that edge, if you like.'

I grin and casually take one of my hands out of hers, reaching back to stroke her neck while I press back onto her. I wriggle my bum slightly against her hot crotch. I feel her hold her breath as I slide my fingers inside the collar of her pyjamas. 'Oh no, don't worry. I still fancy you like mad.' Using the hand still holding hers on my tummy, I push it down my t-shirt until her fingers brush over my crotch. I press her onto me for a moment, so she can feel the wet heat of my naked pussy through the t-shirt. 'See?'

'God, Fiona...' Her voice is soft, trembling. She finds my ear with her lips and nibbles the lobe through my hair. She knows that always turns me on. I gasp as she draws her hand away from between my legs slowly and strokes my t-shirt down: the brush of her fingers over my hips and thighs and navel is so erotic. Her other hand moves to cup my breast for a moment, before she moves away from me. I turn round and we kiss, unhurriedly but hungrily, and I pull her tongue into my mouth.

It's not a long kiss, but it is deep and sensual. When it breaks, Diana brushes hair away from my face and looks on the point of saying something. But instead she just slips upstairs a little before me, and I follow moments later with two mugs of fresh coffee.