Just My Imagination

Börja om från början

Michael pedaled to the gate, motioning for you to follow him. You positioned your feet on your pedals before riding your bike to follow his path. He leaned forward, taking the time to stand up from his bike and unlock the gate. Once the gate was opened, he held it open for you to ride through before following behind you.

As the pair of you rode down the street, the warm breeze blew over your faces. You wore a blissful expression as the wind moved through your hair, blowing it behind you as you cruised down the street. Large houses stood on either sides of the street, framing it with peaceful suburban appearance. However, the large houses were also surrounded by vegetation, which prevented you from seeing the setting sun. In order to get a good view, you and Michael were riding farther up into the hills, hoping to find the perfect place for you to stop and watch the sun disappear behind the horizon.

While riding up the hill, the two of you kept your eyes out, looking to see if any places looked appealing to you. However, you didn't concern yourself with this completely. Both of you enjoyed riding your bikes together, so you were focusing a lot of your attention on enjoying the ride, as well.

Looking over, you could see your best friend pedaling vigorously. The golden evening light was reflecting off of the metallic material of his bike while it highlighted the smooth surface of his brown skin. The curly texture of his afro, which neatly combed and cut, was more visible under the fading light. You couldn't help admiring his joyful expression. Whenever he was happy, it made you happy. You wanted nothing more than to bring a permanent smile to his face. Feeling your gaze on him, he glanced at you, giving you a sweet smile in return. You giggled before focusing your attention back to the street.

When the two of you reached a decent height, you noticed a small empty field in between two houses. A large For Sale sign was positioned in front of it, showing that the land had not been purchased by anyone to build a home, yet. Michael noticed it at the same time that you did, and the two of you glanced at one another, smiling eagerly. He nodded his head in the direction of the empty field before steering his bike to the left. You followed his actions.

Excitement grew within you as the two of you laid your bikes on the curb. Taking in your surroundings, you couldn't help noticing how perfect this place was. Since you'd traveled up into the hills, the field looked out to a wondrous view of the San Fernando Valley skyline. The field was carpeted by a collection of slightly unkempt grass. Two gates from the adjacent houses bordered each side, giving the two of you a bit of privacy. As you walked to the edge of the field and looked down, you noticed that it dropped down into a canyon. It was the best view that you could've asked for.

The sky was now becoming a deep orangish-red. The vibrant glow captivated both of you. Michael took a seat on the grass before looking up at you. He patted the spot next to him and smiled charmingly. You let out a giggle before settling yourself next to him.

The two of you sat in a comfortable silence. You wanted to take in the sight while you had the view. Sunsets always seemed to be the shortest parts of the day, but that was what made them so special. You had to take in the time while you had it.

After a few minutes, Michael decided to break the silence.

"So, this is the first time you've ever had a sleepover?" He asked, looking over at you curiously.

You nodded your head, still gazing at the sunset. "Yeah. I've never felt comfortable enough with someone to have a sleepover. The kids at my school are . . . nice, but I've never gotten the opportunity to grow close to them the way I have with you. You're my best friend in the whole entire world, Michael."