Just My Imagination

Just my imagination once again
Runnin' way with me.
Tell you it was just my imagination
Runnin' away with me
- "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) by The Temptations

~~~~

1972

~~~~

"You'll never get fat!" Jermaine exclaimed, "You guys are always moving! I don't get it! Don't y'all ever wanna take a second to just lay back and chill?" He was relaxing on one of the patio chairs, sipping on a glass of ice cold lemonade that Mrs. Jackson had made.

"Why sit when you can ride your bikes through the neighborhood?" Michael countered, raising his eyebrows challengingly as he helped you adjust the seat on your bike, "Besides, you don't do anythin' but sit back like the lazy bum you are, Erms. You should do somethin' besides 'relax' or 'chill' or 'daydream about Hazel'."

Jermaine narrowed his eyes at Michael before reaching out and threatening to swat at his head. You let out a giggle as you watched the two brothers playfully harass one another. However, it didn't last long, especially since Michael was determined to get your bike seat at the perfect height. Every time the two of you went for rides, you always had trouble putting your foot down to bring your bike to a stop. It didn't take Michael long to notice this, so he wanted to help you out by finding the perfect position for your seat to be in. As much as he enjoyed your little bike rides, he wanted you to enjoy them just as much as he did.

"How's this?" Michael asked, stepping away from the seat. He kept one hand on the handle as you stepped closer to the bike. Swinging your leg over, you took a seat on the newly-adjusted seat. Immediately, you felt the tremendous difference in comfort while sitting on the small object. Seeing your eyes light up, Michael's face broke into an eager grin.

"Is that okay?" He asked, eagerness clear in his voice, "I tried to approximate the right height for you."

You nodded eagerly, letting a small giggle escape your lips. "This is perfect, Mike!" You answered your best friend, twisting the front of the bike by the handlebars, "No one could've done it better! I sure had trouble with it."

"That's because you had trouble moving the seat itself," Michael replied teasingly, earning a playful glance from you.

"Yeah, yeah. You're stronger than me. We've been over this before, Mike. Now, come on! I'm ready to ride this thing while there's a little bit of daylight left. Is your bike all set?" You asked, kicking the stand up.

Michael nodded. "Uh huh!" He replied, running to grab his own bike, which was leaning against the side of the house.

As you watched Michael settle himself on his bike, you couldn't help feeling incredibly grateful for having him as a best friend. You'd never met anyone with as much in common with you as he did. When it came to your love of climbing trees, playing tag, and watching the sunset, he was the only person who understood how magical those experiences could be. Furthermore, he, too, had expressed his gratitude for you.

Since his days were, oftentimes, consumed with his work, he rarely got the opportunity to feel like a kid. When you came into his life, however, you brought him the magic of childhood that he thought he would never have the time to experience. After the numerous nights that he'd spent gazing up at the stars, wishing that the universe could bring someone into his life that understood the craving for childish adventures, his wishes were finally granted.