The Serendipity

1972

~~~~

~~~~

"Mike!"

"Come on, Y/N!"

"What if we get caught?"

"We won't!"

Michael had a tight grip on your wrist, anxiously tugging you down the dimly lit hallway. You tripped over your feet as you tried to keep up with him. Since you were a few inches shorter than him, you'd always had trouble walking at the pace he naturally strolled at.

The cherry wood walls surrounded you as Michael pulled you down the hallway of the recording studio. Occasionally, you passed an open window, slightly brightening the room with light from the gray skies outside. You couldn't have been more thrilled to be at Motown Records. According to Michael, Motown had just settled in its Los Angeles location. Now, due to the studio's closer proximity, you were able to visit for the first time. Michael was eager to let you listen in on artists rehearsing, but Berry wasn't fond of the idea. The last thing he wanted was two kids running around the building while musicians were trying to work. However, Michael had other ideas.

"Berry said to remain professional," You continued.

"We're taking this opportunity to listen to and observe the way the true geniuses do it. I'd say that's a professional thing to do," Michael answered, finally beginning to slow down.

You let out a sigh in relief as Michael stopped in front of a cracked door. Putting his finger to his lips, Michael signaled for you to remain quiet before pointing to the door. You nodded, zipping your lips with an imaginary zipper.

As the two of you turned your attention to the door, you concentrated on figuring out who was rehearsing in the room. At first, you only heard the faint sound of a piano. The artist hadn't sang a word, yet,
you felt a slight sense of familiarity when listening to the song.