~11~

"Ooh, Battle of the Bands, DJ," (Y/n) said the next day at school. However, Krel was not feeling like a ray of sunshine. "You okay?"

"No," he snarled, digging his hands into his hair. "That assassin came back yesterday, and they almost succeeded. I..." He shook his head. "It just made me think a little about how close Morando came to winning, even with Zadra on our side."

"Zadra? She's here? Right now? That was...faster than I thought."

"And good timing, too." Krel dropped his hands. "Varvatos Vex is a traitor."

"What? I'm sorry! I...I had no idea." She swallowed the bile in her throat. So, so many lies. She put her hand on Krel's shoulder. "Hard night."

"Yeah, and now, all these kids here are only writing have a nice summer. Do they know what I get to do over the summer? Go back and start a revolution."

"Can't you take a little bit off?" (Y/n) asked, putting her arm around his shoulders. She surprised herself when she discovered that she wasn't trying to stall him from leaving Earth. Cut it out.

"Time is what we don't have!" Krel shouted. "We have to free our home and finish healing Mama and Papa!" (Y/n) rolled her eyes.

"Buddy," she said. "You know, too much stress is a bad thing. You have to let loose a little. I mean, take a look at your sister. Aja has to do the same thing as you, but she manages to handle a human relationship while she's at it." She held up a finger when the King-in-Waiting opened his mouth. "Our little relationship here that everyone thinks is real doesn't count. You're not putting any effort into it."

Krel frowned, scratching at his head. This made (Y/n) suddenly supremely uncomfortable and she stepped away from him, brushing herself off. Krel averted his gaze awkwardly. "Anyway," she said. "I'm going to go get Mary to sign my yearbook." She hurried away, feeling genuinely sick.

"Hey, girlfriend! Gosh, you look awful! What's up, sister?" Mary exclaimed, racing over to the lieutenant with Darcy in tow. "Better not be coming down with something and missing the Battle of the Bands tonight!"

"I'll be there, don't worry," (Y/n) assured her friend. "I just think that I might have to go home and get some medicine." Another lie. She didn't know how many more she could take in one hour.

She checked out early and returned to her ship, curling up on her bed and wallowing in her misery. She wiped the tears off her face and composed herself when a knock sounded on her door.

"H-hey," Krel said when she opened the door. "I just thought I'd check up on you; you left school in kind of a rush."

"Since when did you have time to check on me?" she grumbled, but she opened the door and let him in.

"Look, I'm sorry about being so rude," he said, staring at the floor. (Y/n) crossed her arms. "Last night just rattled me. I wish you'd been there."

"Here's what you can do to make up for it," she said, leaning against the door. "Go rock it at the Battle of the Bands. Give this town something to remember you by."

"That's it?"

"That's it."

They stared at each other for a moment before (Y/n) abruptly turned the knob and opened her door again. "So much to prepare!" she called.

"Yes," Krel agreed and hurried out. (Y/n) slammed the door shut after him and covered her face.

"Oh buddy," she said. "We're all in for it."

~

"Dolphin noises," the lieutenant murmured, shielding her face from the audience. And Aja was dancing in the corner.