Chapter 2: Awkward Family Meal

"Pass the salt," Jeremiah said, looking at John.

John chuckled nervously. He was still thinking about Rob. "Why do you need salt for rice?" He said while passing the small salt shaker across the table.

As Jeremiah grabbed the salt shaker, Francesca interrupted him by saying "Where's Rob?" while looking at John dead on. She gave him the stare that looked like she could see your soul.

There was a moment of awkward silence as everyone stopped eating. Only Roger was still eating while drifting off into his thoughts. Suddenly, Roger realized what was going on and confusingly looked around the room. Francesca changed her glance from John to Roger.

"I heard he was found dead by the railroad tracks. He was shot right in his back inplant, you know, the metallic one you guys got him after he slipped on some milk," said a gruff voice from the doorway.

Everyone at the table looked towards the voice. "Doctor Mason, what a pleasure for you to be here," said Francesca. "Do you know who shot him?"

"Nope."

There was another moment of awkward silence. Everyone looked towards Roger, who was the only one in the family who owned a gun shop and could use a gun. Nobody knew about John's past, though. Of course, they weren't technically his family, but they adopted him at age 24.

John smiled, but only slightly. He could use this suspicion to his advantage. Maybe plant some evidence, and secretly hide anxiety-inducing pills in Roger's tea, perhaps?

Mason coughed. "There was another body found in your trash cans. Sorry, Frans."

John coughed as well.

Francesca sighed. "You searched my place without permission, again? This is the third time, Mason. You need my permission, and no search warrant will tell me otherwise."

"I know. Frans. I'm sorry. I'll get you a new janitor in a few days."

As Mason started to leave, Roger spoke up. "Who was the body?" he asked. Even though he was just curious, it just raised suspicion around him even more.

Mason turned around. "Mildred. Mildred Smart."

"She must've not been smart that time, huh?" Roger chuckled.

Nobody chuckled with him, except John, who was extremely happy after he found the perfect person to frame. Francesca noticed this, and stared at John. The rest of the family followed her stare.

"I'm sorry," John said. "You know I'm a sucker for... uh... bad jokes. We don't even know Mordred, or whatever her name is, so why not laugh, right? I mean, what harm can it do?" By now, even Roger was weirded out by John's speech. The family had always had a bad sense of humour.

"The rice is getting cold," Jeremiah noted.

Francesca picked up a pile of rice with her spoon and shoved it in her mouth, continuing to stare at both Roger and John at the same time. John was always bad at making small talk.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Dec 15, 2014 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

House of Zenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें