⭐️ EIGHTEEN ⭐️

Sat around the dinner table, Evangeline was disgruntled to discover that she had been plonked in the middle of Roland and Arriane (the troublesome two) and directly opposite Cam

Glaring at him across her glass of water, she pretended to ignore the foot kicking her (and Cam's deep smirk) as Luce's father gave a wondrous speech about Luce and how she had blossomed into a wonderful young woman, adding that her friends were welcome anytime.

Unfortunately, such a comment led to further tension and dirty looks being exchanged between Daniel and Miles.
Never one to ignore the chance to 'poke the bear', Cam made a sly comment about girls fawning over his fencing skills and how Luce was potentially one of those girls. Miles' blue eyes shone with confusion, Daniel snarked that Miles had lost and Cam winced at the powerful kick Evangeline had delivered to his kneecap.
Thankfully, Gabbe defused the situation slightly with a beaming smile and a compliment about Brussels sprouts.

As Luce's parents began talking about their marriage and how their own love story began, Evangeline's hand subconsciously clasped the locket at her neck. Upon noticing this, Cam smiled to himself before raising a quizzical eyebrow at the blonde, emerald eyes shining with amusement. Realising her actions, the blue-eyed beauty hastily let go off the chain and proceeded to glare down at her mash potatoes. The knife in her hand bent slightly at the pressure with which she gripped it and she had to sneakily bend it back to its original position under the table.

A foot intertwined with her own and she had to use all her strength to wrench herself away, attempting to pretend the other half of her soul wasn't seated across from her. Oblivious to the exchange happening between the Angel and the Demon, the rest of the table seemed to be enjoying themselves and it was nice to see her family have some downtime.

Roland was busy making Molly laugh with shrimp, Cam turned his charm on Callie who shyly shook her head (she'd noticed the interactions between him and the beautiful blonde), Shelby was devouring everything she could get her hands on and Daniel was playing foot-sie with Luce underneath the table. Smiling at the cheerful faces around her, Evangeline jumped when Arriane leaned over to whisper in her ear.

"I haven't seen them this joyful since the Viking Age."

"Oh, I miss that time. Life was much more simple and it was acceptable to slaughter terrible humans when you're in a rage."

Arriane snorted into her glass causing Roland to look over in alarm. The demon shook his head when he noticed the identical grins plastered on the women's faces.

Whilst deciding to remain with the angelic side of nature, their fall from grace had left the Fallen with a slight streak of violence and rage. Their temperament was tricky and they tended to thrive from bloodlust, regardless of their side in the war. Most of them enjoyed the rush that unleashing the power gave them and so more often than not, you could find Demons and Fallen Angels locked in combat.

However, during that Thanksgiving, Demons and Fallen came together to enjoy a holiday filled with laughter and smiles.

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

Once dinner had finished, the mixed assortment of Fallen helped clear up and Luce's parents decided to take the impatient dog for his walk. Thankfully, they had chosen the best moment to leave as Luce exclaimed that she had seen a flash of something outside. Instantly, Daniel was beside her.

"Cam, get your bow," he ordered, face like stone and eyes blazing with ice.

Evangeline's head shot up, nostrils flaring with danger. "Tell the others," she informed her ex.

Almost instantly, the tension in the house reached astronomical levels and the air crackled dangerously around the two angels Luce had come to love and see as family. Watching as Daniel and Evangeline worked as one to dish out orders to the rest of the group, Luce could see how they had easily passed as twins. They worked together in a way that only siblings could. They were an effortless team and she could easily imagine them leading an army. Although she supposed that that was what they were doing right now. Unfortunately for Luce, she was once again ignored despite being left in the dark about the danger that had befallen her.

A thudding knock froze the mini army as they all stared at the front door. However, Luce knew the knock had come from the back door. A scream pierced the heavy silence and instantaneously, Evangeline darted into the kitchen – the other three hot on her trail.

Callie, the innocent human in all of this, was shielded by Gabbe's slim but powerful form. Daniel, Cam, Roland and Miles formed a wall of strength behind Luce whilst Arriane and Evangeline stood before the intruder, weapons (or fists) raised.

"Phil?" Shelby cried, recognising her ex-boyfriend from Shoreline.

Pity flickered across Evangeline's features as she realised the turmoil the Nephilim was going through.
A man she thought she had loved had used her and now he was the enemy, attempting to harm her friend. No matter what race or age you were, discovering something like that had to hurt.

Unlike Arriane, Evangeline hadn't lowered her fists but she recoiled when the Outcast pulled out a silver bow and was unable to stop herself from stumbling back into Cam's chest when the arrow was aimed at her. Cam had appeared behind her the moment he had seen the dangerous weapon and so he slid a protective arm around her midsection.

"I've come to collect Lucinda."

"You'll fetch nothing and no one." Daniel snarled, taking a step towards the Outcast.

"We will not leave empty handed."

Poor Shelby was still distraught over the news and began apologising to Luce, promising that she had no idea her ex was an Outcast.

"Give her to me without a fight, or none of you will be spared." Phil stated, lips curling into a smile.

Ever the one to make a tense situation, Cam let out a deep laugh before cockily suggesting that he and the Outcast should take the fight outside. Apparently far more stupid than he originally appeared to be, Phil agreed with a flat smile. Splitting his grey sweater, two enormous golden wings sprouted from Cam's shoulder blades as he smirked darkly at the Outcast before him. The other angels had to take a step back as Cam's wings took up most of the kitchen.

Callie had to blink rapidly to avoid being blinded from the pulsing wings. "Holy Hell," whispered Callie.

"More or less." Arriane sniggered.

Cam arched his wings backward, storming past the Outcast and into the backyard. Rolling her sky blue eyes, Evangeline slid of her jacket as her soft lilac wings burst out of her own back. Shaking them out slightly, she smirked at the glittery traces they left and sweet flowery smell they left in the kitchen before marching after her idiot.

Roland soon followed the two, his black wings shimmering under the kitchen light.

Arriane's iridescent wings brushed against Molly's cloudy bronze ones as the two followed, setting off little electric sparks.

Unlike Evangeline's, whose wings had unfurled in agitation, Gabbe's wings opened as graceful as a butterfly's and she practically floated out of the door. Left alone, the un-angelic group pressed their faces against the window to watch as disaster unfolded.