Chapter 21: Picture of Perfection

Beginne am Anfang

The thing was, I felt really guilty.

Cyrus broke up with me yesterday and I haven't even thought about that much it since Chris showed up. I just feel like I should've.

But maybe is a good thing that Chris is here so he can take my mind off Cyrus and I can move on without the wallowing.

I hope.

When I got there I saw the Chevy Parked in the car park space to get the optimum view of the snowy cliffs and mountains that surrounded the lake. We were very high up so there was a wooden lining to the car park to stop people and cars from falling off.

I went to the passenger seat to see Chris looking at the view and then to me. The smile he had when he looked at me was...so...

Whatever.

Getting in, I joined him in admiring the landscape. The mountains were frosted with white that melted down the dips in the rock like an ice cream. As your eyes followed it to the bottom, there was an almost perfect circle of turquoise water that rippled with the wind and sparkled in the sunlight that burned in the pale blue sky above us.

'Just as I remember,' Chris whispered, 'It's so cold up here even when it's nearly summer,'

I nodded, 'You're just as I remember,'

He shrugged, 'I never change...and neither do you,'

I gazed at him for a second too long before I pointed at my bag, 'What did you want the player for?'

Chris bit his lip.

TJ, stop.

and pulled something from his own bag, 'I wanted to play this,'

Taking the thin package from him, I realised it was one of my own creations, 'You...kept the album I gave you?'

Chris dusted off the cover, his hand touching mine, only for a moment but the electricity that shot through my body was as if it had been a lifetime. I swallowed.

'Of course I did.....I listen to it all the time,' he said it nervously. Chris is hardly ever nervous.

You'd think he would be but he's crazy.

Not sure if I was ready to listen to these songs again, I placed the record onto the player and adjusted the needle.

Play song

'I loved this one,' Chris stated, 'Cavetown is everything,'

I grinned, 'I thought it suited us perfectly,'

'It does,' Chris assured me, swaying to the music, 'You feel nostalgic?'

'So much that it's scary,' I admitted, thrumming my hands on the cd holder, 'I don't know I guessed...things would be different when you came back,'

There was a pause.

'Is that why you stopped calling me?' Chris asked bluntly, his hazel eyes capturing mine before I could look away.