Chapter 20: Midnight

This is the third time, I'm so annoyed with myself!!! I stg I give you all permission to hit me if the next chapter isn't up by Sunday

TJ POV:

I felt lightheaded stood there, clearly crying in the middle of the pathway at midnight with Chris staring at me. God if I'd known he'd be here tonight-

'How's it going?' He asked, kicking the ground awkwardly.

I almost laughed, my face was so red I could he spotted a mile away, 'Great, Yeah...you?'

'Pretty good,' Chris smirked at my obvious sarcasm.

There was another awkward silence when suddenly he said.

'Hey, do you want to go to The Spoon for a milkshake?'

'At midnight?'

'It's still open late on Saturdays right?' Chris' hazel eyes sparkled.

'It is,'

'So, what're we waiting for?'

'It's just I...' I trailed off, not wanting to be rude.

'You...don't wanna hang out with me?' He didn't look offended, more...interested. How am I meant to read that expression?

'It's not that, everything's just happened so fast I feel like I need to slow down,' I replied breathlessly.

First Libby shouts at me.

Then Cyrus breaks up with me.

Now Chris is here?

What next?

Chris stepped tentatively forward, 'You don't have to go but I don't particularly like the idea of you strolling the streets at midnight unattended,'

I raised an eyebrow, 'Says you, you're only a almost a year older than me,'

'Still, 16 years makes me much more responsible than you and in this state? Let me walk you home or somewhere other then this spot where we've been stood for ages,' Chris looked hopefully at me.

I never could say no to those eyes.

I nodded, 'We can go to The Spoon,'

It wasn't far from where we were but I did enjoy the few minutes of light, easy conversation and walking next to each other...maybe a little too closely.

I'm not too sure, I'm tired.

The Spoon was empty at this time as they're usually only open this late for takeout but I guess also for rebellious teens to chill in when escaping their houses and thoughts.

Chris strolled over to the corner window booth and sat down.

I sat opposite, 'Your favourite booth,'

'I'm so glad it was free,' Chris joked.

He made me laugh.

A very tired waitress dragged her feet over to us and got our order of taters and milkshakes.

Cyrus likes them.

So does Chris.

The waitress was so tired that she didn't even take our money, she just went out back to probably get some rest.

Chris claimed the taters his own, which I didn't really mind because I don't think I'd be able to swallow one without thinking of Cyrus.

Not that I'm not thinking about him already.