The Amulet

The chauffeur parked the coach and the winged horses' wings flapped slowly as they descended. Miranda and Sofia climbed out of the coach, giggling joyfully about the ball.

        The guards opened the castle doors. Creak! Sofia and Miranda entered, their shoes clicking on the marble floor.

        Miranda immediately called for Baileywick.

        "Yes, Queen Miranda?"

        "Are the twins asleep?"

        "Yes."

        "Perfect."

        She turned to Sofia. "You sleep well, all right dear?" She planted a kiss on her forehead and headed to her wardrobe.

        Miranda selected a long pink satin nightgown trimmed with laces. Then, she went to the bedchamber she shared with King Roland and drifted off to sleep in their elaborate canopy bed.

        Baileywick inspected the castle one more time before he went to bed until he bumped into Amber.

        "Princess Amber? Aren't you supposed to be in bed?"

        Amber looked around to ensure no one was eavesdropping. "Have Miranda and Sofia arrived?"

        "Yes."

        "Where's Sofia?"

        "She's in her bedchamber sleeping and so should you," he said sternly.

        "Got it. Thanks, Baileywick." Amber ran past him.

"What are you--"

        Sofia was snug in her bed with her animal friends gathered around her like stuffed animals.

        "It was wonderful, guys," she said happily, looking up at the ceiling. "I saw so many wonderful dresses and the castle was beautiful and the prince... He was very handsome. He had luscious black hair and beautiful golden eyes. He refused to dance with anyone but me..."

"Wow you sure are growing up, Sofia," Robin teased.

"Way too fast," Mia added.

Sofia blushed a deep scarlet. "Oh, you guys. We're only friends."

Clover gave her a skeptical look. "Are you sure about that? Once you're married and become queen, you might leave us. Now who will give us food once you're gone? Hmm?"

"Clover, I'll never forget you guys. Besides, who said anything about me becoming queen?"

"Princess, with that personality of yours, I'm pretty sure anyone in their right mind would pick you to become queen."

"Thanks, Clover." Sofia smiled gratefully.

She stared at her animal friends for a while, cherishing their very presence. What would she do without them? Where would they go if she was queen?

The door suddenly burst open and all the animals scrambled out of Sofia's room. Mia and Robin flew out the window, while Whatnaught and Clover retreated into their hole.

"OH, SOFIA!" Amber screamed. She appeared at the doorway in her white nightgown with her favorite pillow.

"Amber, what are you doing here?"

"Well, I felt horrible about that time at Juneberry Park, so I want to make it up to you by having a sister sleepover!"

Sofia was surprised at how overjoyed Amber was, but decided there was no harm in getting closer with her stepsister.

"So, Sofia? What do you say?"

"All right, Amber. Let's have a sleepover."

--

After what seemed to be hours of remarks about the handsome Kanadian prince, Sofia finally fell asleep in her niche by the window.

Amber looked at her little sister, who was sleeping serenely in the moonlight. Because she looked so peaceful, Amber almost hesitated to snatch away her amulet. After all, she offered to let Amber sleep in her canopy bed since she couldn't stand to sleep on the floor. But Amber's desire to reunite with her mother prevailed.

Amber took a deep breath and walked to Sofia, her footsteps magnified by the largeness of the room.

Don't be scared. Don't be scared. This is for Mom, Amber reminded herself.

With trembling fingers, she reached for the back of Sofia's neck where the clasp was.

Sofia's body shifted slightly and Amber pulled back, numb with fear.

She reached once again for the necklace and very carefully unclasped it. Then, she held the amulet by the ends and dangled the purple fat jewel in her face. Now that she'd seen it up close, she noticed a strange glint to it. Perhaps it was a trick of the moonlight, but she was certain she had seen it there.

Amber almost screamed in victory but remembered to save it for when she reached Cedric's tower.