Herbert West X Reader (1) Sick Day

Hey so a few notes before this part. I do not know much about medical stuff so if I did anything wrong please correct me in the comments. Thanks!

Warning(s): Sick Herbert, swearing, fluff.

"Herbert?" Y/n called as they hurried into the house that he and Dan shared. They had rushed over when Dan had told them Herbert had gotten sick. Since Dan had work, he couldn't watch the small man. Herbert would most likely just continue working in the basement if he was home alone. He was known for not caring about his needs. Dan had even brought Herbert to the hospital once because he had gotten so sick he collapsed. Ever since then Dan and Y/n had agreed that they couldn't allow Herbert to be home alone when sick.
"Herbert!" They called out again before checking in his room. He wasn't there. They let out an annoyed sigh and ran their hand through their hair. Herbert was always stubborn. He would continue to deny that he was sick until it got to the point where he was bedridden and unable to walk. Because of this, Y/n always worried about him, keeping a close eye on him when they took care of him to make sure he didn't sneak off back to the lab.
"God dammit, Herbert." They mumbled as they made their way down the stairs to the room labeled 'Embalming'. The door to the lab was unlocked and Y/n quickly rushed inside, closing the door the moment they were through. If they let any of Herbert's creations out, he'd have their head, possibly literally. Looking around, they noted that he was definitely near by. Hot plates and other things that Y/n didn't know the names of were left on. Beakers were bubbling and small body parts were left out. Herbert would normally throw a fit if Dan left even just the lights on by accident, never mind leave the lab like this himself.
"Herbert, Love?" They pleaded, searching for him. "You need to rest. Please Honey." A small sneeze came from a hole in the brick wall at the back of the room. They let out a sigh and hurried over to it. Peaking inside, they caught sight of an awful looking Herbert. He almost looked like a frightened animal. His eyes looked sunken and foggy, while his skin was unnaturally pale. He seemed to be having trouble getting out of the hole.
"Y/n? Wh-what are you doing he-here?" He asked. The poor thing was shaking and seemed out of it. Y/n quickly helped the sickly scientist out from the wall. He pulled off the brown overalls he was wearing on top of his normal white dress shit, black tie and black pants. Although, his tie was messed up and all of the buttons on his shirt were off by one. His hair was a mess and his glasses were terribly smudged.
"Oh dear." Y/n mumbled under their breath. They placed their hand on Herbert's forehead, it was hot. They shook their head.
"Sit here and don't do anything." They ordered, leading him over to a chair and sitting him down. He seemed to be acting more like a rag doll then himself. Y/n hurried around the lab and turned off everything thing that seemed like it needed to be supervised.
They helped Herbert out of the lab, letting him lean on them before turning the lights out and locking the door. The two flights of stairs they had to climb while almost dragging Herbert along were a challenge, but ended up being manageable. Y/n led him to his room and sat him down on his bed. They hurried off to the bathroom and started the bath. While it was filling, they searched the medicine cabinet for something that may bring his fever down. Once they found some Ibuprofen they quickly turned the bath off and started to rush down stairs to get a glass of water.
"Herbert? What are you doing up?" They ordered. He was trying his best to sneak down the stairs.
"I have work to do." He grumbled. They let out an exasperated sigh and dragged him back to his room without another word.
"Stay." They ordered, pushing him down on the bed and took his glasses off, leaving them on his desk.
"But-"
"Stay!"
Surprisingly, Herbert had listened to them. Y/n was genuinely shocked, thinking they'd have to go hunt him down. When y/n gave Herbert the pills, he stared at them for a moment before taking them and chugging the glass of water. They brought Herbert to the bathroom, helping him strip and get into the bath. Herbert reaches up for the shampoo, but Y/n beat him to it.
"Hey, just relax. I'll take care of you Herbie." Their voice was sweet and comforting. He seemed to finally relax a bit when they left a kiss on his temple. He let out a tiny hum of enjoyment as Y/n massaged his scalp with shampoo. They smiled at this, feeling lucky to be the only one who got to see the prideful Dr. Herbert West let his guard down. They washed out they shampoo and helped him wash his body. His eyes closed and a small loopy grin formed on his face as they washed his back with the washcloth. He was certainly enjoying the attention.
After the bath, Y/n helped Herbert into a pair of Dan's sweatpants and an old t-shirt. They got him into bed and he shut his eyes almost instantly. His breathing had calmed and his features relaxed. He looked almost younger, more full of life. When Y/n began to walk away, something grabbed their arm.
"Stay." Herbert mumbled, eyes still shut. They smiled and nodded, already knowing they'd get sick. As soon as they lay down, the small scientist clung to them. Herbert mumbled a quick "thank you" before the two fell asleep in each others arms.