She shook her head, "No, I'm totally fine with it sir. If you would just trust me, I promise I'll do a very good job."

He nodded, "Okay, I'll give you the chance so please do not fail me."

"I won't, sir."

"Ray," he corrected. "So you'll be earning two fifty per month for the next three months. Is that okay?"

Holy... "Two hundred and fifty thousand naira???" she asked incredulously.

He nodded, "It's not okay?"

"No,no,no sir. It's more than fine, thank you very much sir." She was grinning from ear to ear even though she was trying to keep her cool.

"Again, it's Ray. We really need to work on that," he said, smiling.

"Sorry, Ray. I'm just really excited, when do I start?"

"Tomorrow, please," he replied. "I'm hoping you'd see his doctor tomorrow so you can get familiar with the things he's supposed to do and what not."

"Tomorrow's perfect."

*     *     *
"I'm so happy for you," Ama gushed. "Have you told your mum yet?"

Sophie nodded, "She was so ecstatic. I can't even believe it myself. With this, Kemi's hospital bills to some extent would be settled."

"I know, right? I really am happy for you but..."

"But?"

"This one they're offering to pay you this sum of money... the job go tough gan oo."

"Ah, I don't mind, babe. See, no matter how tough it can be, once I remember the money like this, forget it."

Ama nodded, "Hmmm true. So, about Mr Adams..."

Sophie rolled her eyes, "I knew you'd go back there."

"Before nko, abeg tell me everything. How cute is he, really? On the scale of one to ten."

Her friend's hyper mood almost had her bursting into laughter. Sophie pretended to think about it, "Hmmmmm... I'm hungry, is there food at home?"

"Why are you changing the subject now?"

"Feed me and I'll tell you," Sophie replied, making her way to the kitchen.

"Sophie..." Ama whined as she trailed after her.

*     *     *
Sophie was on cloud nine as she got ready for work the next day. Confused about what to wear, she decided to ask for Ama's opinion, "What do you think I should wear? I don't want to look too corporate but I don't want to look too casual either."

Ama shrugged, "Wear a suit jacket and pajama bottoms then. The corporate balances the casual, problem solved."

Sophie glared at her and was searching for a befitting response when her phone started ringing. Picking up, she said, "Hello?"

"Morning, Sophie. It's Raymond."

"Oh, good morning si...Ray."

"Yeah. I just wanted to let you know there's been a change in plans. You head straight to the house, we'll join you there."

"Okay, that's fine sir. I'll be there shortly."

"Alright then." The line went dead.

"Who was that?" Ama asked.

"Mr Adams," Sophie replied. "He asked me to go straight to the house."

"Oh. You seem excited," Ama teased. "Just yesterday, you were practically shivering from nervousness."