Chapter 77: End of the Beginning

"Do you want to know what I love most about being an Avenger?"

I shift where I sit in the backseat of the SHIELD car so that I can look at the techie currently resting her head on my shoulder. Her green eyes are closed, and if she hadn't spoken, I would have thought her to be asleep. The dark, purple circles that adorn the pale skin under her eyes suggest that she's in dire need of a refreshing nap, yet she remains talkative as always.

Even though there are currently five of us sitting in the car that we have temporarily borrowed from SHIELD, it doesn't feel cramped in here. In front of me sits Clint behind the wheel, and next to him in the passenger seat is Nat. Behind her sits Bruce, leaning against the car door even though there is plenty of room in the backseat. Even with Ava sprawled out between us.

Tony, Steve and Thor would be arriving separately from the rest of us, and one another as well. Tony had returned to his tower the previous day, where Pepper had been waiting for him after returning from DC. I hadn't known it at the time, but Tony had tried to call her during the fight. She hadn't picked up the phone, unfortunately, making me feel even more relieved that Tony had survived going through the wormhole. If he hadn't, then they never would have gotten to say goodbye to one another. Not that they should have had to in the first place. Unable to change what has happened though, I can only hope that they have found solace with one another during their reunion.

Steve had also returned to his apartment and was making his way from there to our meeting point. Thor had opted to ride with Loki and the numerous guards that are accompanying him from SHIELD's New York Building. From what little I heard as the five of us made our way down to the car, Erik would be joining them as well.

One by one, we had piled into the car before Clint had started our journey. Central Park is where the nine of us will momentarily meet before going our separate ways. Not only because it keeps us out of the prying eyes of the media, but it is also an open space. Something that Thor had claimed was necessary for their travels during our lunch gathering after the fighting. I don't quite understand the logistics of it all, and I hadn't bothered to ask Thor at the time. All I could think about was the shawarma sitting in front of me, and how desperately I wanted to sleep.

It appears that each of us is still tired as we have all been silent for the duration of the car ride. That is until Ava had spoken just seconds before.

It isn't me that answers her question, but rather the other redhead in the front seat. "I don't know, Ava. What do you love the most about being the Avenger?"

The techie, in turn, blinks her eyes open but doesn't remove her head from my shoulder. "The perks," she answers.

I can't help but raise a brow at this. "There are perks?"

"Well, there will be once everything's settled. Or there should be at least. We quite literally saved the world. Surely we will be rewarded for our valiant efforts."

Bruce, who has spent the entirety of the car ride so far staring out the window in thoughtful silence, turns to us at this. A confused frown seeps across his face as he takes in Ava's words. "Rewarded, as in...?"

​​"Well, I don't want what they would be at this point." Finally pulling herself upright, she reaches up to hastily push her loose strands away from her face. "But I'm thinking along the lines of something like free entry to certain things like museums, resorts, clubs- or at least incredible discounts. Oh, not to mention free food-"

"Food?" Clint asks, the singular word immediately catching his attention. It is impossible to miss the hopeful gleam in his eyes as he peers at us through the rearview mirror. "There will be free food?"