Chapter 50: The Truth and Nothing but the Truth

Much to my surprise, Fury hadn't protested when I had told him that Rogers and I were going to be spend the rest of our time together in Central Park. In fact, the eye-patch wearing spy seemed rather pleased about the two of us leaving, insisting that we could take as long as we needed: It was as if he wanted us anywhere but here. Rogers had only seemed pleased and slightly nervous about Fury's permission, but I couldn't help but feel suspicious at his continuous strange behaviour. I knew better than to immediately confront him about this however, as doing so would only cause tension between the two of us.

If I wanted to get to the bottom of this, then I was going to have to do so subtly. But for the time being, I pushed any thoughts about Fury and his odd conduct to the far corner of my mind so that I could one hundred percent of my attention to the blonde super soldier currently seated in the passenger seat beside me.

The ride to the park was mostly silent with the roof of the car down, preventing my blonde locks from waving about all over the place in a frantic and uncontrollable fashion. Having it down also drowned out all of the loud and busy noises of the city. Normally I loved driving with the top off, but I had initially thought when we had first sat down in the Spyder that doing so may overwhelm Steve.

For the entire care ride he stared out of the window in both awe and fear, drinking in the sight of the city buildings and life, the bustling streets filled with people moving about and going about their daily routines. Every now and again he would mutter things incomprehensible under his breath, though I assumed that he was probably making small comments about how everything was so different to how he remembered.

We arrive at the park a short time later, quickly climbing out of the car before beginning a slow trek along one of the many walking tracks that the park had to offer. The park was busy as per usual, with many other people enjoying afternoon strolls, going for a jog or walking their eager and adorable dogs. The city was almost completely obscured from view with the green treetops covering most of the tall buildings, leaving the modern clothing that other pedestrians wore the only thing for Steve to gawp at.

I watched as he blushed and diverted his eyes from a girl who ran past us, wearing typical work out clothes that clung to her body and revealed more skin then Steve was comfortable with. Elbowing him lightly in the arm to gain his attention. When he turns his head down to face me, I state gently "So fashion since the 1940's has changed a lot."

He nods his hands into the brown pockets of his jacket to keep them warm against the cool and bitter breeze. "Definitely. Back then we tended not to show as much..."

"Skin?"

Another nod of his head. "Women tended to wear longer skirts and dresses, while men usually wore suits or trousers. But now-"

"Things are completely different," I finish, agreeing with this completely. "Over time, fashion and society opinions and values changed. I wasn't around back then obviously, but I know that it wasn't conventional for girls to wear fitting clothes. But now it's OK."

He remains silent at that, casting his head down to the ground beneath his feet as he thought about what I had just said. Despite the fact that he seemed rather lost in his own thoughts, he managed to keep in step with me as we continued along the path, never once faltering. AS we walk, I tip my head back to allow more sun to rain down on my face, enjoying the warmth that doing so granted me. Despite the sharp breeze, it was a lovely day outside, which made me glad that I had suggested that the two of us go for a walk. I didn't know how Steve felt about being cooped up in a holding cell for the past couple of days, bit I knew that I would have been driven insane if I had found myself in that situation.

An unexpected growl erupts from my stomach and though it was loud enough for me to hear, I didn't think that Steve could hear it from beside me. Suddenly becoming aware of just how hungry I was my, my eyes quickly land on a hot dog cart further up the path, the very sight of it making my mouth water.