Chapter 7- Somewhere Far Away

He is lying on the shore. The waves are gently crashing onto his bloody feet. He can barely move and all the right side of his body is in agonising pain. It's mostly made up of blood and burns and splinters. He can't even feel his right hand and foot, but still he knows that they are damaged beyond repair. But he is alive. It is more than he can ask for.
He has been lying here all night, after having had to swim all the way through the freezing water to the shore. It is bitter cold.
He tries to call out for help but only a quiet grunt comes out of his mouth; he has no idea if he will survive the next few hours. But he's made it this far. And he owes it to his family to continue living. So he tries to move away from the waves. And fails. He tries again. And fails. And fails again. And he keeps on doing this until he is able to shuffle a few inches inland. He continues the agonising process across the icy cold ground all through the morning, and it must be midday when he stops in exhaustion.

He manages to move his head to the right, and the sight is horrifying. He can barely make out what was once his hand, let alone his leg. The sea had hidden rocks on the seabed, which had caused these painful injuries, and the burns and splinters from the boat only added to the wounds.
But he had made it this far.
And he wasn't going to give up on life that easily.
Or otherwise he'd have to call himself a hypocrite.
Because he'd spent half of his life telling his son to be strong.
So now was the chance to prove what he said was true.
He will survive.