Chapter 12.

"Forven, it's good that I see you. May I speak with you for a moment?" King Jonas asked, when the two of them ran into each other in the hallway. His voice buttery smooth like always, Forven had a hard time listening to the actual words coming out of his mouth. After a couple of seconds, he nodded.

"Of course."

"Do you need assistance?" the king asked, holding out his arm, but Forven shook his head.

"I'm alright, thank you. Just walk a little slow, please."

The king slowed his steps to accommodate Forven and he led them to an empty sitting room not far from the hallway.

"What is it that you needed to talk about, your majesty?" Forven tried not to wince as he sat down, the scar on his stomach throbbing. Some days, he still feared the stiches would burst open, even now that his skin had completely healed. He reckoned that fear would never really go away.

"It is about my brother."

"What about him?"

"About my brother and you."

Panic rose in Forven's chest.

"Now, we all know about Alre's preferences. At this point, I am surprised that the whole kingdom isn't aware of it. And it has come to my, and as far as I know, only my, attention that you and him are quite close, no?"

"He's a good friend, your majesty."

"Don't play dumb with me, Forven. You may have eyes and ears everywhere but so do I."

Forven cursed himself for being so careless with those two girls. He now couldn't even trust the people in his own home. Who then? Who was there left to trust?

"What do you want?" Forven asked.

"I don't want anything. Nothing material, at least. Nor any favours."

"Then why are you saying all this?"

"I'm not the bad man here, Forven. But they are out there. And they are not as open-minded as I am. They won't just want to talk. They will want to tear everything you have down and they won't have mercy. So please understand that what I'm saying is to help you."

"I don't understand."

"This needs to stop. Whatever this is. You are to be married. Did you think everyone had forgotten?"

"Of course not."

"Then stop this. Do you have any idea what it would look like? The people always know. One way or another, they always know. And what will they think?"

Forven didn't know what to say, and instead stared at the corner of the table left of him, gold leaf on tortoiseshell. A silver vase - or pewter, Forven never could tell the difference - on top of it, clashing horribly.

"They will spit you out," the king continued. "Especially here. In my country, perhaps the people would speak badly of you behind your back. But here? You wouldn't get away with this. If not for the fact that you took the prince of the neighbouring country as a lover then for the fact that the queen of your country rots away untouched and forgotten in this massive palace. They'll want blood and they will see it."

"I love him," was all Forven finally managed to say.

"And I'm sorry for that," said the king. "But this cannot go any further. Stop this silly relationship and do your damned duty."

"Who are you to say this?" Forven raised his voice.

"You mind your tone with me, Forven. I am a king."