chapter 2.

It was well past eleven when Forven stepped outside into the gardens to get some fresh air. The sun had long set. It was December after all. It had been replaced by a large, bright first quarter moon. Though it was cold outside, Forven didn't desire to get inside again. His birthday party was still very much going, but after a couple hours of loud noises around him Forven wanted to cool off for a bit. He walked slowly around the big fountain in the center of the garden where long lanes of grass stretched out to beyond his vision. He looked up at the sky and the longer he looked the more stars he could see.

When he got to the other side of the fountain, he noticed somebody sitting on the edge, his arms behind him and his legs crossed, also looking at the stars. At least, that is what Forven thought until he got closer to the boy, who he now noticed was Alre, Aywin's older brother, and saw that he had his eyes closed. He quietly sat down next to him. The first thing he noticed was the boy's cologne, a strong and oh so pleasant smell that momentarily made Forven weak in the knees.

Without opening his eyes, Alre spoke to him: "Aren't you cold, your highness?"

"How did you know it was me?"

"You see," Alre started, sitting up straight and turning his body towards Forven, "I'm psychic. I sensed your presence." He tried to keep a straight face, but it was obvious that Forven didn't believe him. "No, that's a lie. I actually just opened my eyes when you were looking away." He liked this guy, Forven decided. He wasn't speaking to him like he was the crown prince but rather like a friend, something he appreciated after hours of formalities.

"No, I'm not cold." That was a lie, he was quite cold, but he didn't want to tell Alre in case he would want to take him inside and he wanted to stay here with him for a little bit longer. He didn't know why he wanted to be around Alre so badly. It wasn't as though they knew each other, they had only met a few hours ago. Still, being with him was better than being with all the nobility inside. Being with anyone was better than being with all the nobility inside. There were a few more exceptions, of course. He really liked Alre and Aywin's family and to the duke and duchess of Taland. There was also a group of girls, all daughters of noblemen, that he liked alot. It was quite obvious that they were all trying to make him fall for them, but even though he wasn't interested he enjoyed their company.

"You obviously are, you're shaking. I'm not dumb."

"I'm fine, I promise. I just wanted to escape the party to be honest. It's a bunch of stuck up middle-aged people in there."

Alre chuckled and shook his head smiling while taking off his jacket. "Fine, but please put this on. I'd rather not be accused of being an accomplice in your suicide. I can already see the headlines: 'Crown prince Forven dies of hypothermia '." Forven rolled his eyes but laughed. He definitely liked him.

Putting on Alre's jacket, Forven was overwhelmed with how strong it smelled of his cologne. On any other person, he would have thought of it to be tasteless and over the top, but God, did Alre smell nice. He buried his nose a bit deeper into the collar, hoping Alre wouldn't notice.

"My favourite colour is navy blue, my favourite food is salmon, I'm seventeen years old and my birthday is May eleventh and I always wake up before seven o'clock." Forven looked at Alre with a quizzical look in his eyes, which made Alre laugh. "You said you wanted to get to know me, now you do."

"Thanks, I could write your biography now. I feel enlightened," Forven laughed sarcastically which made Alre laugh too. Forven liked it when Alre laughed, he decided: it made him look friendlier, instead of mysterious and cold.

"I've told you my darkest secrets, but I still don't know anything about you, your highness," Alre stood up and motioned for Forven to follow him. They slowly walked further into the gardens. "Let's see. My favourite colours are pale pink and yellow, my favourite food is apple pie, you obviously know what my birthday is and if I could I'd sleep until noon every day." Alre nodded.

"Interesting, interesting."

While they talked some more the two had absentmindedly wandered off to the back of the castle. They could barely hear the music from Forven's party and the only people around were a couple of guards watching over the main entrances.

Forven couldn't remember the last time he had felt so at peace while on the castle grounds. Alre's presence was slightly uncomfortable, as was often the case when meeting for the first time, but also rather comforting. He didn't know why, but he felt quite safe knowing Alre was walking next to him.

"Do you like your family?" Alre himself thought it was an odd question to ask; he had talked to the king and queen and Forven's younger brother Orym briefly and they seemed to be nice people, especially Orym, who had given Alre a brotherly hug upon meeting and had led the conversation so that his parents wouldn't start interrogating him about his sister. "Why do you ask? Do you not like my family?"

"Just out of interest, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't talk bad about them to the crown prince." Alre chuckled, but Forven knew he was being serious. If anyone heard him insulting the royal family he'd be in trouble. "I do, most of the time at least. My siblings are lovely; Thalia always claims to want to marry me when she's older," Alre smiled fondly at that.

"My parents are good rulers; I think they're a good king and queen. And so do the people. At least, from what I've heard they do. It's just," Forven was looking for the right word, "my father. He just doesn't get me. He's my dad and I respect him, but I just wish he would for once try to understand me. He only sees me as the crown prince, and not as his son. Sometimes I wish we were just a normal family that didn't have to worry about ruling a country."

Alre nodded, as if he was content with that answer. "I get what you mean, I think. I'm not in the same situation as you are considering I'm only second in line for the throne, but I've seen it with my brother when we were younger. Our parents barely had time for us and if we did spend time together, it was often for my dad to teach Jonas how to be king. I suppose that's our faith as royal children." Alre smiled though Forven could see a hint of sadness in his eyes. He didn't know if it was appropriate to pull Alre in for a hug, so Forven settled with a comforting hand on his shoulder.

"I should be heading back, they're going to be wondering what I'm doing wandering around the gardens with the prince of Ithràndar. They might think I'm concocting wicked plans with you behind these bushes." Alre laughed.

"You're right. I should probably put my own jacket back on, though." It was only then that Forven realised how cold Alre must have been while they were talking. He decided not to comment on it as he had offered him his jacket himself, but he did give it back feeling slightly guilty for wearing it (and smelling it like a pervert.)

"You go inside first. I think it would be inappropriate to go in together, considering I'm supposed to be getting to know my future wife at the moment."

Alre nodded. He understood. He was glad that as a second son, he wasn't the centre of attention all the time like Forven was. He didn't seem to mind it though: when he had observed the prince earlier he had very easily been making conversation with all the girls at the party. He perfectly fit in there.

"Have a lovely night, your highness. Thank you for your company just now, I certainly enjoyed it." With that and a little smile Alre turned around and walked inside, leaving a very content Forven behind.

"Thank you too, Alre of Ithràndar," he whispered to himself. He waited a few more minutes in the cold before he decided it had been long enough and also walked towards the entrance. Once inside, he put on his smile again and manoeuvred through all the dancing bodies towards his parents. They seemed happy, but Forven knew that all of it could be a show. You never knew for sure.

"What do you think of the party, son?" His father asked, no emotions visible on his face. It had always been that way.

"I'm enjoying it alot, thank you father. I'm also enjoy princess Aywin's company very much, she's very nice."

Forven knew that those words would please his parents. It wasn't a lie, he truly liked Aywin and her family. If he had to choose a girl to marry right now, it would be her. His parents seemed to support this unspoken decision.

"I'm glad my love. She's a lovely young girl. She would be lucky to win your heart," his mum beamed. Forven smiled weakly. She meant well.

duty. (boyxboy)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें