Chapter 22

2 weeks later

2 weeks later

Jay rolled out of bed after his alarm had gone off. It was 6 30, he didn't have to go into work until 9 but he thought he'd get a quick gym sesh in beforehand. Erin woke up, looked at Jay and turned away from him. They hadn't really spoke since the incident. Jay didn't want to push her because he didn't want her to fall into another black hole.

Jay "Hey I'm going to head to the gym and meet up with Atwater and Ruzek. Are you going to come to work today"

Erin "Maybe" she mumbled

Jay "Erin can we please talk. Please, I'm here let me be your punching bag"

Erin "There's nothing to talk about Jay"

Jay "Erin I cant keep sitting around acting like nothing happened, we have barely spoke in 2 weeks and I feel like I'm walking on eggshells around you"

Erin "Please just leave it. Please" she got up quickly and walked into the bathroom slamming the door.

Jay walked up to it and tried to open it but it was locked "Erin please talk to me, that's what I'm here for. Don't push me away"

Jay heard the shower running and just rolled his eyes and thought to himself 'What's the point' He got changed, grabbed his stuff and walked out.

It was 8am and they'd just finished their workout, they were all sweating and puffing and about to hit the showers.

Ruzek "How's Erin doing man?"

Jay shrugged his shoulders trying to catch his breath "I have no idea, we have barely spoke since it all went down"

Atwater "That girl has been through it all, hopefully she can turn around from this I know you's were in a really good space bro"

Jay "See that's the thing, I feel for her and I wanna be there for her but I lost a child I didn't even know about too and I don't know if we will get another chance"

Ruzek "Man, I'm sorry really I am"

Jay "Yeh well what do you do, come on let's hit the showers"

Later that day in the bullpen. It was quiet, nothing was happening. Everyone was just catching up on paperwork. Next thing Voight yelled from his office "HALSTEAD" everyone's eyes went to Jay as he slowly got up and walked over.

Jay "Hey sarge, what's up?"

Voight "Erins meant to be back at work, mind telling me why she isn't here?"

Jay "She was going to message you, well at least she told me she was, she wasn't feeling up for it"

Voight "Jay, this unit is the best thing for her right now. She needs people to keep her mind off whatever she has going on up there and you can't let her push you away she already done that once and look where it got her"

Jay stood up "Hank what am I suppose to do?!" He snapped at him. The whole unit could hear "It was hard for me that day too" He stormed out slamming the door into the wall.

Hailey found him in the locker room.

Hailey "Hey you" Jay didn't even look at her "Look for what it's worth, Lindsay is lucky to have you"

Jay "What's the point Hailey, she shouldn't have come back"

Hailey "Hey come on, you don't mean that. Jay you love her"

Jay "Yeh but I feel like we are just bad luck together, whenever something gets good, something around the corner wrecks it"

Hailey "But you always come back from that and that's what love is. You just need to learn not to runaway and to chase her when things get rough. Then eventually she will open up to you"

Jay "Thanks Hailey, look I'm going to head out. Just ring me if something comes up" He gave her a quick hug.

Back at Jay and Erin's apartment. Erin found an old pill packet from when she went down her dark path. She stood in the kitchen with a beer and it in her hands. She knew she could go one way or the other. Take them and the pain would go away or get rid of them and deal with her problems.