[Ch.2]

Amara Peacewood

Amara Peacewood

I would've asked any of the neighbors if they had seen her but they weren't really the pleasant kind of people, no one in this small secluded town were.

Me and my mother moved here because of her condition. We went to every doctor and they all told us the same thing, they didn't know what was the cause of her illness or what it the illness was.

She was  in a fragile state and to add to her problems memory loss made it even harder for her, and this whas really bad since her being  a nurse you needed to have a photographic memory and that's what she was trying to become.

So the doctors all came to the conclusion that it would be best if we moved to the countryside, that sometimes a new environment with fresh air and water would be the cure, and so we moved.

My mother had to then quit studying in university to become a nurse herself but for me it was troublesome, I had to leave my old high school, my friends and possibly future boyfriend to move to a place where things were totally different, the network in this new school was alien and so where the people, to them I was an imposter invading their private life, everyone knew each other, and it was like being the lone rouge wolf welcoming themselves into the pack that worked like a family, so yeah you've guessed right I have no friends, but I'm okay with that, I'm not much of a talker and really all I need is myself and my mother.

But where was she?

The two burgers were done and all I was missing was the presence of my mother, the lovely aroma making my mouth water in anticipation as I set up the table in the living room, looking helplessly at the end of the table, as if my stare would summon the most wanted person at this time.

But that was not going to stop my appetite and I dug in, cherishing the taste, taking my time then usually gobbling my food up like a troll. However in no time I was finished and wanting more, I looked longingly at the untouched burger at the end of my table.

No! I must resist all temptation.

With a sad sigh I cast one more glance at the burger that sang my name and raced upstairs, stopping shortly at my mother's bedroom, she left her phone at the side table, untouched. I searched the bathroom into the cupboard for her pills and held my breath, every time she took a pill she would leave the lid open and I would close it every time, it was like a routine but this time the lid was on it, maybe she remembered to put it back but what if she had forgotten to take them?.

I jogged back to her bedroom, noticing more things with narrowed eyes, she was a clean freak so why was her bedroom so messy? There was the bed quilt halfway on the floor, the pillows thrown around the room, the scene made my suspicion increase, it almost looked like a struggle, like she was struggling from something, but from what?

Okay Amara don't get ahead of yourself, Sherlock Holmes didn't just stand idly by and guessed the theory on what happened, but I shouldn't cross out my suspicions as well.

What did he say? 'when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?' Yes I know a Sherlock Holmes fan right here don't judge.

Her walk in closet was open but I knew she didn't use it for clothes but rather paintings, paintings that should not be seen and should be locked away, but it was open and I slowly stalked towards it, I was beginning to feel overly conscious and I knew I wasn't allowed to see her work but even though now was not my time I couldn't help myself , I reached out to open the door wider and looked around in wonder.

There was about hundreds of them, all lined up perfectly, ready to be viewed. I pulled one out that was smaller than the others and tilted my head in curiosity, I could tell by the painting that it was newly done and specifically it was the painting of a man, a handsome man actually and it was so detailed that it was as if my mother had seen him before countless of times, but I do not recall any male friends of hers that looked like that, I fact she only had few friends back in the city and all females, unless she was seeing someone, but she would've told me, we tell each other almost everything.

She would wouldn't she?

I was suddenly drawn to his eyes that was a light shade of blue, almost neon like mine, they had such depth and it was like my mother had painted an emotion in it, one that reflected mine, curiosity of a cat and sadness. The more I stared the more I saw, like a mirror that reflected myself.

Who was this man, and why did I feel so connected to him?, shaking myself out of my daze I placed it on the floor gently to look at another one, I frowned once again in deep thought, it was of the same man but much younger, he had the look of freedom and compared to the other painting the first one looked as if he was trapped, stress on his face. I huffed and dropped the painting I held on the floor, I was getting off track, I needed to find her.

I glanced outside the window and wrapped my arms around myself, there was a blizzard coming, this town was known for its unusual weathers but they come at the wrong time!, however I had no choice...i had to talk with the neighbors, anyone on who might've seen her.

I flung my cream winter coat on and ran outside without a thought, locking the front door before going to the next one right next to our cottage.

This is going to suck.

I knocked on the door several times and waited patiently, hearing heavy footsteps coming my way, a tall disheveled man appeared behind the old worn down door, swaying from foot to foot as he leaned forward, too forward for my liking that I could smell the alcohol strongly in his breath making me cringe.

"What do ye want little lady?" He croaked hoarsely with a bitter voice.

"My mother Rose hasn't come home yet, I was wondering if you have seen her" I said confidently, holding my disgust when he picked at the food hiding beneath his brown shriveled beard.

"Ah that airless woman with a bonny body? Nay haven't had the pleasure to see her, next time ye do tell her to come and we'll have a blast in me house" He wiggled his bushy brows and crowed a laugh, I recoiled at the suggestive statement and glared harshly at him.

"Excuse me sir she is my mother, find someone who can level as low as you" I instantly turned away without giving him a reply, i know I might've been too harsh but he had been sending these signs for a while now to my mother, every day I was always worried for her when I was at school, worried that he might to something inappropriate against her will, and hearing the rumours of his forceful nature didn't help, so it was bound to happen.

The man muttered angrily under his breath saying something about me being ungrateful and slammed the door shut.

****

Hi Y'all!, Sorry if there's any mistakes, hope you are enjoying the story, this is going to be a long process cause I'm trying not to jump into the middle of the story yet, gonna take things slow. What do you think so far on the first neighbour?? Have you got any questions? If so feel free to ask!.

And what do you think has happened to Amara's mother?? Comment here!

Vote, comment and share :-D see ya next time!

(1399 Words)