Lily gave him a half smile, taking a deep breath and looking away. She felt dizziness overcome her, so she leaned against the side jamb of the left door so that she wouldn't faint.

Holden's thick brown creased as he watched her, noticing the pallor of her face that was even paler than most vampires. He pursed his lips, glancing behind them to be sure no other guards were around. "Listen," he whispered, turning back around to the girl who was too weak to even raise her head to look at him. "I might be able to sneak a tray of food up here tonight if I go help with the clean-up staff. But you can't tell anyone or else I will, without hesitation, snap your neck."

Lily raised her eyes up to him in slight amusement at his threat that was actually quite serious. "Thank you," she whispered.

"Get some sleep, dumbass," he said with a smirk before turning and beginning to walk away with his arms crossed behind his back, his usual stance.

"Are you not supposed to guard me at all times?" she feebly questioned before he was out of earshot.

He paused and turned to her. "Even I need a rest from you talking my ear off constantly. Plus, your doors automatically lock from the outside. You can't go anywhere, anyway."

Lily simply gave a slow huff, letting her shoulders rise and fall lazily before she turned and opened her doors, stepping inside the room and closing them. She then tried to open them from the inside, but Holden was right—one can't get out from the inside. Sighing, she wished she would have put something between the doors to keep them open, but instead she had dumbly locked herself in.

She walked over to her bed, crawling onto it and letting her body fall frontwards, her face hitting the extraordinarily soft pillows. Closing her eyes as her faintness overcame her, she firstly thought about Jasmine. She thought about what that William vampire might have done to her, if his iniquity stop at sucking her blood or if it ventured on into something that made Lily want to rip his head off. She remembered the fact that he was married to the other vampire, Giana, and she used that as hope that maybe he had not hurt Jasmine in that sort ofway.

She sighed as she turned onto her back, feeling troubled at all the thoughts plaguing her. Then her thoughts shifted to the Queen and the way she had stared at her nearly the entirety of dinner. She remembered her yellow-green, catlike eyes and the way they watched her like a tiger sitting on its haunches waiting to pounce at its prey. She remembered feeling some kind of magical magnitude drawing her deeper into her eyes until she was floating in their fluorescent chartreuse ocean and drowning deeper by the second. She remembered the warm buzzing inside of her running rapid through her bloodstream as the Queen persuaded her, or at least attempted to.

She fell asleep to that warm buzzing feeling replicated in her chest, those yellow cat eyes haunting her in her slumber.

The girl was still asleep, her blonde hair sprawled about the bed and the moon having risen above the snowy mountains outside the window. She was awoken by the sound of footsteps stepping from the staircase and onto the floor, travelling rather slowly to her room. The rest of the castle was completely quiet, allowing her to hear the steps clearly.

She instantly shot out of bed, grabbing all the decorative pillows she could and stuffing them under the covers so it would look like her body lying under the sheets. She had thought this plan up all night and hoped so dearly that it would work out. She simply couldn't bear knowing that Jasmine was somewhere in that castle. She just hoped that she had her own room and was not quartered with that lecherous William. Lily had a bad feeling about him, even worse than the Queen.

Listening to the footsteps come even closer, she adjusted the pillows one last time before quickly tiptoeing across the room to behind the door, thanking her father for teaching her how to tiptoe while hunting for deer in the woods. She softly pressed her back against the wall and slid her small body as close as she could behind the door. She held her breath when she heard the handle of the door wiggle and the door slowly creak open. Her brain immediately began to regret her brave stupidity.