_________________________

As he slid the canopy closed and dogged the latch shut the roar of the slipstream died away and Ashton pushed the goggles up from his eyes.  A glance at his fuel gauge told him all he needed to know.  'No wonder they never stay long our side!'  Having spent time locating the airfield, and burning extra fuel with his low slow pass to drop the package he had enough to get back to Tangmere - if he didn't encounter any further delays along the way, which was by no means assured.  With the Hurricane's 600 mile range he knew the roughly 300 mile round trip from Tangmere to Pihen-lès-Guînes and back was well within his capabilities but it didn't do to take chances.  Well aware he was over enemy held territory he kept a sharp eye out for any Luftwaffe activity.  A glint in the sky to his rear caught his eye and he swore, dipping down to treetop level, knowing he was sacrificing performance for the safety of obscurity.

_________________________

'Was ist das?'

Garsteck shrugged in reply.  'I do not know.. but I suspect.'

Although the day had dawned clear, the recent rains had left the centre of the airfield somewhat boggy and the parcel had survived its fall remarkably well.  Garsteck wiped it with a gloved finger, and nearly dropped it in shock, reading aloud the written label he had uncovered.

'For the attention of: Major Anton Garsteck, Adjutant, VI. JG51 3.'

'Was??'  The label did nothing to dispel Grüber's confusion, at either Garsteck's actions, the recent overflight of the Hurricane, and the parcel now held in Garsteck's hands.

The older man nodded slowly.  'Ja.. I think I see now.. kommen..'  Turning his back he led the way back to his office where eh sat, placing the parcel on the desk in front of him.  'Close the door Erich..'  He waited as the order was complied with.  'Sit..'

His confusion now deepening to irritation, Grüber sat as directed and waited.

Speaking slowly as he marshalled his thoughts, Garsteck began.

'You know that Johann, Karl, Rudi – Oberst Keppel who you have not met - and I served together in the last war.'  Grüber nodded.  'In many respects it was a totally different conflict to this that we are currently fighting.  For one thing the air war at least was a much cleaner affair.. there was.. ach it sounds strange to say it now.. there was a kind of code of conduct between the opposing sides.'  He grunted.  '"The Knights of the Sky" some called us, but in those early days we all knew, German, British, French, American.. if our aircraft was shot up we were dead.  There were no parachutes to save us.  So it was enough to knock an aircraft out of the sky, we did not need to see it burst into flames, and if the pilot was lucky enough to be able to glide to a safe landing, then he would be allowed to.'

He paused and looked at Grüber.  'Did you notice anything about the Hurricane that dropped this?  Its markings perhaps?'

Grüber's face screwed up as he thought hard, replying slowly.  'Yes.. now you mention it.. I think it was from the same squadron we fought earlier.. their leader was responsible for shooting down Major Alfelt..'

Garsteck nodded.  'You said also Johann ordered you all to leave the fight to him.. correct?'  Grüber nodded.  'As I thought.. I suspect the leader of that flight was also a Great War veteran, and if I am right..'  He reached over and picked up a letter opener, snapping the string holding the parcel together.  Carefully unwrapping the brown paper he laid the contents on the desk and smiled.

There before them lay a wallet, a silver cigarette lighter, and a handwritten note.  Garsteck picked up the latter and read aloud;

Dear Anton,