chapter fourteen

"it all happened one night, at an end of semester party

"it all happened one night, at an end of semester party..." somi began with a dramatic introduction, but it was the least you could expect from the girl who runs the most popular blog in the school.

"honestly, the two of them were always shipped together, even before they knew each other." she said, drifting off topic momentarily. san's eyebrows furrowed and he momentarily dropped the pen he was using to write his english homework.

"why? is it because they were both equally popular?"

"...well, i guess. well they did make a good pair. they were called the hwahwa couple because of their names, too." she took a pause to shudder. "still the cringiest thing ever. i had a seizure when i wrote that name in my blog."

"you wrote in your blog about them too?" san made a face, dropping his pen again, genuinely intrigued by the thrill of being behind the school's most notorious gossip site. he felt the sudden urge to start a blog of his own, but his poor social skills would most likely restrict him from being successful. 

he huffed at the thought, proceeding with writing his homework again. 

"well, duh. they were all anyone ever spoke about. were you guys living beneath a rock, though? how come you don't know hwayoung?" she clicked her tongue before going on, "never mind. like i was saying, they first met at an end of semester party. it was lust at first sight." yeosang laughed at the terminology, "seriously?"

 "no joke, they were like, all over each other." she defended, "anyway, one thing led to another, and when we were back to school, hwayoung and seonghwa started dating. things were going great for them initially, i guess. hwayoung always told stories of how he treats her like a queen, and stuff, and her social media was covered top to bottom, with pictures of the both of them."

"it was gross. and then one fine day, i was late to school, and there were like, bunches of people crowding the hallway instead of attending class. i was relieved but also curious as to what the fuss about because, like, i do run the most popular blog after all, you know? to me, gossip comes before oxygen." she chuckled evilly once more, before proceeding.

"anyway, the cause of the ruckus turned out to be seonghwa and hwayoung. hwayoung was like, crying an ocean, and seonghwa was crying a whole load of nothingness because he's a total good for nothing sack of shit, admit it. seonghwa had broken up with her the day before, and she completely humiliated herself in front of everybody by crying oceans for someone who doesn't even give a shit about her."

"but of course, everyone loves bad boys, and especially bad boys that look like seonghwa, so the girls fell harder for that idiot. hwayoung lost popularity, and she was ignored by everyone at school. watching her walk in the corridor was like watching a corpse drag itself with no direction in mind. a month later, she left. but nobody really noticed."

"so why did you notice, then?" san picked up, hand on his chin.

"well, like i said, gossip comes before oxygen. besides, hwayoung was my crush- no, she was the first girl i fell in love with. that's why my hate for park seonghwa doubled."