27

"Hi," Igo smiled as they approached us near the shore. Hyatt and I were just taking photos and taking advantage of the golden hour.

I walked a bit, stopping in front of him. "Hey."

He suddenly grabbed my phone from my hand and started scrolling the pictures we've taken just now. I bit my lip while watching him check the photos. I was also kinda shy, remembering that he was one of the campus photographers back in high school.

"You're great," he commented. "Didn't know you're good at photography."

"Uh...thanks? I'm not that good, though. I just know Hyatt's best angles. Been her photographer since we were kids," I chuckled.

He pursed his lips while looking at me after listening to what I was saying. He, then, nodded and gave me back my phone.

Hyatt tapped my shoulder, telling me she's going somewhere with Marcus. I just nodded and watched them walk away. It's now our last day here and I'm already used to her, leaving with Marcus whenever they liked.

"You're good," he said. "But how about I take your photos? I think you can be a good model, too."

I laughed and shook my head immediately. "I'm not that photogenic. I don't think I can."

"Of course, you can! And it's not about being photogenic, it's about having a great photographer."

"Being cocky now, are we?" I tilted my head a bit to the side and smirked at him. He just laughed.

"Come on! It won't hurt," he grabbed my arm gently and made me pose near the shore. I laughed a bit before doing a pose, giving in.

"Ooh. Nice one, Asha!" He said while taking the photos. "Okay. Another one, come on!"

I continued smiling and posing while he was taking pictures. After a few moments, we stopped.

Instead of heading back to the hotel to prepare for dinner, we decided to sit for a while and watch the sun go down. Silence enveloped us and the only thing we heard at that moment was the waves as they hit the shore.

"You still haven't told me your reason about that thing in Grade 9," I said, breaking the silence.

He, then, faced me and nodded. "Do you wanna know about it now?"

I nodded.

"I don't know how to say this but..." he trailed off, trying to find the right words on how to properly express his reason. I looked at him and patiently waited for his next words.

It was a long story and I was shocked. But to cut it short, it was about Shanaia, his ex. They've been together for half a year in high school and they broke up when Igo found out she cheated.

Apparently, months after their break up, a rumor spread. People said Igo was courting me even though he wasn't. Then one day, Shanaia confronted Igo about it and he said it wasn't true but he liked me then. That was when Shanaia threatened him. She told him that if he doesn't stay away from me, she'll ruin my reputation and will spread rumors about me. Igo then knew it could affect me so much since I'm an active leader and an honor student.

When I gave him my letter and asked him if he could go to the ball with me, a few schoolmates were watching. And as far as I can remember, Shanaia and her friends were also there, watching Igo's every move.

That is why he rejected me back then.

"It's getting late and cold. Let's go get some dinner," he said after standing up. He stretched his hand so he could help me stand up.

While eating, I still can't stop thinking about it. My poor grade 9 self was really sad about it. But after hearing his side, I don't know what to feel.

"Haven't you heard from the elders that it is rude to frown in front of the food?"

I looked at him and raised a brow. Not sure if that was true or he's just messing up with me.

"Please turn that frown upside down. You'll look better that way," he smiled and continued eating his food.

I stared at him for a while, feeling how fast my heart was actually beating right after he said that.

No.

I don't think I should be feeling this way. It's not...right.

I sighed and continued eating.