The last thing I remembered seeing was the LED clock on my bedside table glowing with the numbers 04:28, when I was woken just three hours later by my phone vibrating on my duvet next to me. I peered at the screen blearily, sitting up in horror when I registered the contact: Aspiring Film Maker. God. What reason could he have to call at this hour? Had he pulled an all-nighter after our tryst, drinking to forget how I'd left him hanging in that weird industrial kitchen? Should I be concerned? I let it ring four times, a weak attempt to appear nonchalant. And then I answered.

'Matty? Are you alright?'

'Oh, thank fuck. I thought you might not pick up.' His tone alarmed me - it seemed sober, but stressed out.

'Why wouldn't I pick up?'

'I don't know, I wondered... you know, since you didn't say goodbye last night. I think we left things a bit... unresolved. Or, I don't know the word. In limbo. Maybe this is a terrible idea, shit, I'm sorry I called-'

'It's fine!' I squeaked, acutely aware that the hand holding my phone was growing clammy. 'I mean, it's a surprise. But I'm glad you did.'

'You're glad?' Matty asked doubtfully. 'Somehow that sounds ominous.'

'It's not. You're right. The way I left-'

'Yeah, why did you? What was on your mind?' The way he asked was confused, almost pained, and I felt a dreadful pang of guilt.

'I'm sorry... I freaked out. Wouldn't it have made things kind of messy? Think about it, Matty. Anything in that sphere, it might make all of this a bit weird afterwards.' It was hard to express myself accurately - to explain how much I loved the rapport we had. 'We're good friends, right, and I don't know if I made it clear how much I value that. I'd hate to just drop out of contact all over again, simply because we hooked up, or... or messed around once.'

'Messy? Not necessarily. We're talking now, see? Talking it through and making sure it's not weird,' he replied hopefully.

'Yeah, but I don't want to get carried away. I don't want to just be a conquest to you... does that make sense?' I took a deep breath, aware I was simultaneously admitting vulnerability and trying not to sound wanky. 'I worried that it would devalue me, I guess, in your eyes,' I admitted.

'Devalue you?' He echoed my words in dismay. 'That's impossible. And besides, if I really wanted to get my rocks off, I wouldn't just grab my nearest mate, no matter how much I fancy them.'

'I like that,' my grin seeped into my voice as I relaxed. 'Did you always?'

'Fancy you? Yeah, as soon as I saw you in that crazy suit at the party.'

I giggled. 'Thank you. For checking in.'

'Don't thank me, I'm sure I woke you. It was a bit of a risk, I guess, but it paid off in the end, didn't it? I mean, you seemed to enjoy yourself.'

He spoke in a knowing tone, and I felt my cheeks burning. 'Oh. Yes, I did.'

'There you go. So no harm done. Did you sleep alright, after all that wine?'

'Barely. A lot on my mind.' My bedroom door creaked open, making me jump. Helen's face appeared in the doorway, shining with interest. 'Matty?' she mouthed. Typical; she was only a light sleeper, and must have eavesdropped on me. Motioning to her frantically to leave me in peace, I brought the phone back to my ear. 'Hm? Sorry, I didn't catch that.'

'I said you should get some rest now. I shouldn't keep you on the phone, you must be knackered.'

'No! Don't worry about that. I'm kind of hyped up now, I can't imagine going back to sleep. What time did you leave in the end?'