Voices

The night was filled with crying. Sam sat against the wall as he listened through the door. 

The boy was crying and softly singing to himself. He didn't think anyone could hear him.

"You have a beautiful voice" Sam said quietly, making the singing stop abruptly.

"I-im sorry... I didn't know anyone was a-awake.." he heard the boy whimper quietly. 

"They threw you in here quite roughly.. didn't they? I saw you had bruises all over you.." Sam said, glancing around the room. 

"I'm okay... w-whats your name?" The boy stuttered. 

"Why do you stutter?" Sam asked softly. The boy sighs quietly, not expecting an answer. 

"I-I stutter when im scared... I don't know w-why im here..." the boy says quietly. Sam shook his head.

"Colby right?" Sam said, his voice wavering slightly. 

"How do you know my name?... w-who are you?"  The boy asked loudly. 

Sam chuckles, shaking his head. 

"Just sleep." Sam said as he opened his notebook.

"Theres no bed...." Colby said quietly. 

"Sucks doesn't it?" Sam said, uninterested in the conversation. He heard careful movements before silence settled through the ward. 

Sam sighed softly, he never saw this side of Colby. He was quiet. Shy. He stuttered a lot. He never seemed like he could hurt anyone. 

What made Colby into a serial killer? Sam wrote down on his notebook. He hummed clicking his pen. 

The night continued with Sam writing, occasionally walking around the cell. 

After what seemed like hours, a voice broke the silence. His cell door opened. Sam silently stood up, leaving the room. He followed the group of patients to the Day room. 

Sam made his way to the corner of the room, watching as patients filled the room one by one. 

A boy with pink hair walked into the room, a brunette boy behind him. 

Sam gasped quietly, his lips slightly parted as he watched the brunette haired boy look around the room. 

Suddenly the brunettes eyes met Sam's. Colby gasped quietly, eyes quickly looking back at Jake. 

Sam stomach turned. Starting to make him feel nauseous. The smell of fire filling his mind. He coughed, covering his mouth quickly. 

Images flashed in his memory. He remembers the fear he felt when he saw the fire fill the small closet. He remembered the sirens going off. 

Sam remembered getting pulled from the closet, barely breathing or alive. The ambulance rushing to save him as he stared at the two bodies being carried out of the house. 

Sam sighs, shaking his head quickly. He watched as Colby sat on the floor a young boy sat in front of him. They were conversating. Jake was leaning against a wall, staring at Sam. 

Sam's eyes met Jake's. He kept eye contact before a man obstructed his vision, making him look away. 

"Samuel Golbach, I need to speak with you in my office" the man spoke. Sam sighed, following the man to a room with a desk. 

"Please sit down. Let me introduce myself. My name is Dr. Castee. I'm here to help you get better. " Dr. Castee said, a smile on his face. Sam sat down carefully, his eyes locked on the man in front of him.

"Alright. Lets get started shall we?" Dr. Castee said. Taking out of clipboard and a pen.

Sam nodded. The door to the office closing, giving the two men privacy.