Clarke And River Fielder

The Twelve Good Deeds Of Clarke And River

It was around 6 o’clock in the evening of Christmas Eve when the boys decided to make their move. The air was frosty and the concreted pavement was slick with ice. River, the one in the wheelchair had a huge plastic bag of glow sticks and other decorative lights. Clarke stood behind the wheelchair, carefully fitting batteries into the last waterproof light.
“You ready C?” River grinned, his breath fogging in front of him before dissipating.
“Course you diphead.” Clarke teased, sparing his right hand to slap his brother’s cheek.
“Dick prick.” River muttered underneath his breath.
“Ass face.” Clarke replied simply.
“Oh c’mon C.” River rolled his eyes as he said so.
Clarke grinned and starting jogging down the road, pushing River out in front. Occasionally, River would tell Clarke to stop and he would plant a light into the snow covered lawns. This went on until 8 o’clock where they eventually looped around into their original spot, just outside their house.

“Well that took less time than I thought.” River mused as he started scrunching up the empty plastic bag.
“Oh please.” Clarke snorted, “It was all because of my expert steering with your wheelchair.”

 River chuckled and shook his head, taking a moment to stare at the small street. With small icicles forming on the porch bannisters and snow slowly gathering on the lawns. Sure signs that Christmas was around the corner. Clarke sighed blissfully, taking in the snow, before pushing River back towards their lit up house. The only lit up house on the street.
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Rose sunk deeper into her couch, feeling a wave of warmth from the fireplace. Her dad was in the kitchen preparing the turkey for Christmas dinner tomorrow, while her mum was flicking through the channels beside her. Rose and her parents never really celebrated Christmas, sure there was a turkey and presents, but there were never lights, or Christmas trees. It was basically just another holiday that they could slug through. Rose glanced out the window and saw the Fielder brother’s house. Just like every year, their house was strewn with Christmas lights and decorations. They started celebrating Christmas religiously since River Fielder got involved in a car accident at the age of 16, paralysing the lower half of his body. Rose guessed they just needed something to cheer themselves up. Clarke Fielder was River’s twin brother, older by ten minutes, to be exact. And it didn’t matter where they were, the Fielder brothers were always together. Rose and Clarke had a couple of classes together, yet they never really spoke to each other. However Clarke and River weren’t always cheery. For a period of time after River’s accident, Clarke would lash out at anyone who tried to talk to him. Those who apologised, even though it might not have been their fault, those who made snide comments under their breath when they sat next to him, anyone and everyone got the pissed off Clarke as their response. However after a while, River came back, albeit in a wheelchair, but Clarke seemed to be doing better.

Now, going on their third year of celebrating Christmas, the Fielders seemed to be especially festive with their lights and ornaments. It was almost as if the Fielder brothers had something to show the rest of the world. Something spontaneous and ridiculously festive to teach the people of Ellisberg how to properly have a white Christmas.