Complications

Kashyyyk: 19 BBY
Kachirho Beach
Commander Axe

They were all tucked out of sight along the beach, waiting. Another dawn had broken, after a night full of work and little rest. Scouts had reported in early, bringing news of droid activity within the atmosphere. Axe glanced towards the first group that lay in wait on the beach.

At last, the massive droid transport broke through the clouds and headed down towards them. Irel stiffened beside him and drew in a sharp breath as the carrier touched down. The bay doors opened up and several waves of droids marched onto the sand.

"First wave, go now," Axe said into his comm. The Wookiees and clones jumped out of their hiding places, opening fire on the droids. They sprinted towards the forest as soon as the droids spotted them. Axe pressed himself flat against the ground as the droids stormed past their hiding spot.

"Vulture droids," Veres hissed.

"Launchers and rifles, open fire," Axe whispered into his comm. There was a clicking in the trees above them. Several rockets flared to life and smashed into the approaching vulture droids. "Launch gunships."

The second wave of droids was approaching quickly. Irel nodded and he sent out the second group. Further within the forest, muffled explosions and screams could be heard. Axe turned his focus away. Several new Separatist droid carries broke through the clouds. Axe turned a questioning look to Irel.

She pulled out her comm. "Ziyah, send in the Perseverance."

"Yes, Master." Axe sent out wave three. Still, more droids came.

"I hope they're holding out in there," Patch whispered.

Wave four sprinted past with droids on their tails. Still, they waited. Several of the clones with them shifted uncomfortably. Irel gave them a reassuring look and they fell still. "Now," she hissed. One of them pressed a detonated.

A large crate close to a cluster of droids exploded, driving shrapnel through the droids. A few others short circuited from the heat that singed the air behind them. Another crate exploded and the rocket launchers flared to life again. The gunships had arrived and roared overhead.

The Wookiees with their group let out terrible roars and jumped out of their spots. Irel leaped up and activated her lightsaber, diving into the fray. Veres ducked past a blast that narrowly missed him. "Keep your head down," Axe shouted to him.

"Not my fault we don't have any extra helmets," Veres grunted in reply.

Destroyed vulture droids crashed into the sand, smashing several droids and clones. Axe opened fire on a few commando droids close by. He glanced towards the atmosphere. The Perseverance should have deployed their gunships. He tossed a popper into a throng of droids and grinned as they all fell.

His grin faded as several new tanks and machines broke out of the ocean. The gunships above took their aim, knocking out a few of the approaching vehicles. Spider droids broke out of the water and opened fire. He hit the sand as the explosion sprayed before him.

Axe was instantly on his feet, his gaze sweeping the battlefield. A commando droid charged at him, its sword drawn. Axe ducked its attack, grabbed its arm, and tore it from the joint. In a quick movement, he snapped the droid's head off its body and was running towards the next one. He spotted the flash of Irel's saber close by and began to press towards her.

At last, she came into view. Axe ducked behind the crate she stood on and fired from the side. Patch fired from the other side, then ducked out to grab an injured man. "Our reinforcements should be here by now!" Irel shouted. She leaped down and crouched, activating her comm disk. A hologram of Rigger appeared.