sixteen | last day of the year

~*~

I take my SAT. I feel okay about how I did, for once. The week after SAT's is finals week.

"You'll be so far from me," I say whenever Tenya brings up his application to Alabama.

Tenya's hand squeezes tightly around mine. "No matter what you will always be my love." With that, he starts the car and drives us away from the school's parking lot. "It's getting hot out," He says.

I roll the window down, just to feel the warm afternoon sun against my face. My hair is beginning to grow out, and the roots are beginning to be blonde once again. Tenya speeds up the car. "It's very nice out."

I let out a comfortable sigh. "Drive me to somewhere far away," I say.

He giggles. "Will do."

As time passes, I feel better. Tenya helps me study for finals week, which helps me pass the math class I have with him.

Finally, on the last day of school, I sit on top of the football stands alone looking onto the field after class has ended. Just when the sun begins to set, Tenya puts his hand on my shoulder and sets down next to me. "I have to tell you something."

I glance over to him. "What's up?"

"I got in."

I raise my eyebrows. "To Alabama?"

He nods. "Yep."

The smile on my face is wide as I congratulate him. "That's great! So you're going to play football and stuff?" His gaze is fixated on the field once he nods. When I look closer at him, I realize hes beginning to cry. "Ten-"

"I don't want this," he says finally, and the tears start rolling down in thick strides. "I hate this. I hate that I have to do this. I just- I want to stay with you and I want to stay here in my home state and I can't!" He shouts out.

I rest my hand on his shoulder. "Hey, it's okay. Tenya you do-"

"I do though! I cannot avoid this. I don't know what to do. I ca- I can't leave you."

I shake my head and put my hand on his cheek. "You don't have to do anything. You're your own person, you know that?"

He sobs and wipes his eyes. "My parents will kill me."

"Then let them. Let them hate you and try and ruin you. You have to be happy before anything else."

Silence cascades around us. "I have already confirmed my entrance into the university, so there's no going back now," he finally says. "I'm sorry."

I shake my head. "Don't be sorry silly!" I say. "We still have all summer."

Together we stare out onto the field. Tenya sighs. "I am going to miss playing on this field. And I'm going to miss hearing my name."

I roll my eyes. "Imagine how many times you're going to hear it in college and beyond. I bet you'll go to the Superbowl and everything!"

"Yeah?"

I punch his shoulder. "Of course! I'll hear your name on TV all the time."

He snickers and falls onto his back. "Will you be there with me?"

"Only if you want," I tell him and fall onto my back to speak with him. "Let's make a deal," I say.

He raises an eyebrow. "Shoot."

"You can choose if you want me by your side the day summer ends. When do you leave for college?"

"August 6th."

I nod. "Yeah. August 6th. You can choose what happens. If you want, if it feels right, I will move with you. But if that's not for you, then I will stay."

"Next year is your senior year though."

My lips purse and I have no choice but to sigh. "I don't care. I'd do it for you if that what you wanted. I hated this school anyways."

He holds out his hand, to which I furrow my brows. "It's a deal, Katsuki. You have to shake on it."

And so I shake his hand.

When I get home, my mom gives me a big hug. "Congratulations on another good year Suki," she says softly. "There's cookies in the fridge for you. I have to go to work to pick up some things I forgot. Dad is asleep so be quiet."

I grab myself a cookie and go up to my room. For the first night in a long time, I sleep peacefully. In the morning I take a warm shower and think about Tenya. Determination drives me to make this the best summer I possibly can. I love that boy, and my fate is in his hands.

The first day of summer, I spend alone. Not that I have any problem with that, I need time to myself. The second and third day of summer I spend with Tenya, the fourth with Kaminari, and the fifth with Mina. It's a nice week.

Mina tells me that she is due soon. "My due date is June 28th, remember that."

I nod while still mixing the bowl of ingredients. We decided to make cookies tonight. "Have any names picked out?"

She nods. "We're having a boy, so yes. I can't tell you yet though. I want it to be a surprise."

"Ooo, a surprise? Better be good," I chuckle and add chocolate chips to the bowl.

Her giggle is cute and relaxed. "Oh you'll like it."

When I finish with the doe, Mina plops small balls onto a tray and puts it in the oven. "My hair is getting way long," she mentions, running a hand through it. "And it's all faded. I have no clue how Kirishima is still in love with me."

"Probably because he's wildly in love with you and has been since the seventh grade. Oh and maybe because you're carrying his child but yknow I'm not expert."

She smacks my arm. "Don't be so sarcastic!" she chuckles.

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. I'll help you dye your hair by the way. After you have the baby, of course."

"Yay!" Mina smiles. "I think I'm going to leave it long though. I like it this way."

"It does look nice. Also you have to help me bleach mine back to blonde. The ends look awful."

"Of course!"

Once the cookies are done, we veg out on the couch before watching Devil Wears Prada, which is truly one of our favs. Kirishima comes home just after midnight, and with his arrival we call it quits and head to bed.

~*~