xxvi

Loki stuffed the glowy cube into the pocket of their coat before looking at Alasdair and nodding

Loki stuffed the glowy cube into the pocket of their coat before looking at Alasdair and nodding. "Do you have all the weapons?" Alasdair looked down at his empty hands, he looked at Loki sheepishly and shrugged. "I got distracted, sorry." Alasdair slowly walked around the room and looked at the different weapons that Odin had on display.

He grabbed a flail holding the handle in his hands, gripping the handle. He swung it around a little bit before putting it back. "How is the glowy cube your ticket to be free?"

Loki was silent for a few minutes, Alasdair didn't think he was going to admit it but Loki started speaking. "Thanos asked me to get it for him."

Alasdair's shoulders dropped, he shook his head quickly, no way would Loki be working with Thanos again. "He hurt you, why would you work with him again? He made you do unspeakable things." Loki sighed and leaned themselves against a bare pedestal that was previously holding the cube.

"There is still a part of me that he left inside, that can still be controlled. It's like your eye itching all the time or you get cramps, it's small but constant. He said he can make it grow and I could be mind-controlled again unless I give him the stone then he would remove the speck." Alasdair looked at Loki sadly as he slowly walked over to them. "What if Thanos is lying, I don't know what the cube is but it looks dangerous. I don't want you to give it to him." Alasdair lifted Loki's chin with his finger and brushed fallen hair behind their ear.

Loki leaned into the hand. "I know you don't, I have to though Alasdair. Even if he is lying, he could kill you and I don't want that." Alasdair leaned closer and kissed Loki on the lips, they pulled apart breathless.

They needed to get out and fight but neither of them wanted to leave the bubble they created for themselves, they were protected by the underground room. They knew it was time, Thor might dead and heck Evander might be dead but Alasdair doesn't know, and that scares him.

Sighing Alasdair pushes away from Loki, he goes back and his eyes flicker through the weapons. It was common but he grabs a crossbow and a double speared dagger. "The crossbow, the arrows are magic. So is the double speared dagger, it's laced with poison on one tip." Loki walks towards Alasdair who was holding the dagger away from him in fear but the crossbow was safely strapped to his back.

"Which side is poisoned? I don't want to accidentally stab myself with it." Alasdair let out a dry chuckle. Loki shook their head fondly before grabbing the dagger and turning it towards Alasdair who backed up suspiciously. "See here, prick your finger and drop it in the center. It means the wielder won't get poisoned like you are so worried about." Loki smirks.

Loki gently grabs Alasdair's finger and pricks it with the not poisonous end. Alasdair hisses as he watches blood pool on his finger. "I'm gonna turn and squeeze okay?" That was all the warning Alasdair got before Loki grabbed his finger and squeezed it over the center of the dagger.

Loki squeezed the finger until he got enough to fill the center disk, when Loki let go Alasdair popped the finger into his mouth, literally licking his wounds. "That's gross, and unhygienic Alas," Loki commented frowning. "What? We don't have anything to stick on it so this is the next best thing."

Whatever Loki was going to was cut off by the palace rumbling followed by claps of thunder, Loki looked at Alasdair with wide eyes. "Oh my god," Loki murmurs walking towards the part of the other end of the room, Loki stepped harshly on the marble and the wall started to move inside the wall.

They were out of the palace, well kind of. It was a trek to get up the rocky cliff that led down to the treasure room but they made it, they both had to duck when someone walked by.

"Come on." That all Loki said before running out of their hiding spot, they only looked back and gestured for Alasdair to follow them before running towards the bridge again, Alasdair sighed as he climbed the rest of the way out of the rocky incline before he made his way towards the bridge.

"No." Alasdair stopped suddenly when he saw the long hair stretched out across the bridge. He stepped closer, he glanced behind him to see Thor on the broken balcony but he couldn't bring himself to cheer.

When he got closer to the long hair he fell to his knees, it was Evander. He looked almost unrecognizable but Alasdair knew it was his older brother. "Oh, Ev." Alasdair leaned his head towards Evander's chest hoping to hear a heartbeat, but he didn't hear anything.

He grasped his hands tightly and the tears started running down his face, Alasdair caressed Evander's hair. Sniffing he ripped a part of Evander's shirt off and sticking it in his pocket, it was a dumb thing but it was a family tradition. Every time a family member died they would take a piece of their shirt.

"Alasdair, we have to- oh baby." Loki's voice appeared in front of Alasdair, Alasdair looked up at Loki. He had tears in his eyes, he opened his mouth to respond to Loki but nothing came out. "I don't know what to do," Alasdair whispered brokenly, he didn't know how to tell this to Verity. She's already lost so much in her short life.

They heard footsteps in front of them because Loki had moved to hold Alasdair in their arms. "Alasdair, Loki. I'm sorry but we have to fight." Alasdair looked up at Brunnhilde with determination in his eyes.

"I'm not leaving him here," Alasdair growled out tightening his arms around his dead brother, this wasn't how the Vanir were supposed to be left.