xi

Lindsey was washing dishes when she felt someone apparate near her house. She dropped her sponge and grabbed her wand and slowly peaked out from behind a lace curtain, her heart dropped as she threw open the door.

Remus looked up, his green eyes wide and his mouth agape, " I just-," he wasn't able to say another word before Lindsey tackled him into a bone-crushing hug.

" I don't care," she sniffed, burying her face into his shabby coat, " I don't care why you haven't called or visited or anything, all that matters is you're here,"

Hesitantly Remus wrapped his arms around the older woman, " I'm so sorry," he whispered, tears falling onto her dark hair, " I'm so sorry,"

She let out a cry and got on her tiptoes before kissing both his cheeks, " I forgive you, honey," she giggled wiping her tears away, a dazzling smile gracing her pretty face, " I know it's been hard- but you're here now, that's all that matters,"

She reached up, a manicured thumb wiping his scarred cheek, " Now let's get inside before I freeze my ass off,"

Remus let out a watery chuckle before allowing Lindsey to lead him inside.

Lindsey closed the door and instructed Remus to sit down while she made them both hot chocolate, much to Remus's amusement, " I don't believe Ellie's told you," he began, catching Lindsey by surprise, " I'm currently holding the position as professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts,"

Lindsey beamed before placing down the cups, " Oh my Lord!" she squealed, " That's so perfect for you,"

But her smile disappeared, " So she figured out who you were?"

Remus noted her solemn attitude and nodded, " Yes... she didn't exactly like me at first, though I can't blame her, can I?"

Linsey frowned, " At first?"

Remus took a sip of his hot chocolate, " I was going to send you this card, " he said taking it the letter out of the tattered coat's pocket, " And she saw me on my way to the owlry,"

" And I apologized to her, for not being there- then she forgave me. Her demeanor is very, well, cold I suppose but when we were talking it was almost like-,"

" You were talkin' with Evelyn," finished Lindsey with a sad smile, " Ellie is a very reserved girl, she's quiet and standoffish but she has so much love in her heart you wouldn't believe it,"

" She cares so much about people and how they feel but will pretend she doesn't...," She paused." My baby is scared to get hurt, Remus," she said softly, her russet eyes meeting his green ones, " So she puts up that wall, and rarely lets anyone inside, so feel special because she determined you worthy to let in, even if it is the smallest bit,"

-

White fog obscured his senses... big, blurred shapes were moving around him... then came a new voice, a man's voice, shouting, panicking — "Lily, take Harry and go! It's him! Go! Run! I'll hold him off —"

The sounds of someone stumbling from a room — a door bursting open — a cackle of high pitched laughter -

"Harry! Harry... wake up..." Lupin was tapping Harry hard on the face. This time it was a minute before Harry understood why he was lying on a dusty classroom floor.

"I heard my dad," Harry mumbled. "That's the first time I've ever heard him — he tried to take on Voldemort himself, to give my mum time to run for it..."

Harry suddenly realized that there were tears on his face mingling with the sweat. He bent his face as low as possible, wiping them off on his robes, pretending to do up his shoelace, so that Lupin wouldn't see.