Chapter 5

As you stepped off the plane in a daze, you scrolled through your phone's notes.

Confirm landing with boss.

Meet Clancy at the gate.

You sighed. You were already late from a stupid layover in Ohio, as a tornado had ripped through a town nearby. Stupid fucking tornadoes. Your boss could wait an hour or two for a confirmation email. You walked to the back of the crowd at the luggage claim and spotted your things. Moving to grab them, a woman elbowed you in the chest.

"Watch it! I was here first!" she said. You weren't in the mood to yell at her, so you whispered something about her stupid 'May I speak to the Manager?' haircut and pushed past her. Then you saw your luggage disappear to the other side.

Just fucking great.

~

"Hey!" Clancy called to you as you walked to the gate. You jogged to him, shaking his hand.

"You must be Clancy, right?" you said.

"Yep. Are you okay? I heard about that tornado in Ohio," he said.

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine." Clancy grabbed your luggage and led you to a small car, packing your things in the trunk. You climbed into the car as he pressed the button to start it.

"Listen, we've got you booked at the Waldorf, is that okay?" he said, turning the car onto the highway.

"Are you kidding? Of course it's okay!" you replied, ecstatic. They had you booked in a 5-star hotel? Hell, anything would beat the crappy motel you'd have had to stay at near Skid Row.

"I have to say, your ice cream flavor idea was really impressive. Mint and white chocolate have never really been played with. When we showed it to Tyler, he went absolutely apeshit. He wouldn't stop talking about it." 

"Really? I thought it was dumb. I bet people had ideas better than mine," you blushed, looking out of the window. Tyler liked your idea? Was this a fucking dream?

"No, I'm serious. Yours was the best. You wouldn't believe how many people submitted the dumbest fucking flavors I've ever heard. Fucking mayonnaise ice cream?" he fumed. You laughed, and he smiled.

"I like you already. I think you and Tyler will get along just fine. Speaking of which, he'd like to meet you before we begin the marketing phase. He seems impressed by you."

"Really?" you muttered, looking down at your hands. He wanted to meet you? The ride continued in silence while you pondered what you'd say to him.

"Hi! I'm the awkward girl who sent in that stupid ice cream flavor. How are you?" No, that was too long and weird.

"Hi! Big fan!" Nah, that was fucking awkward. You could already hear Colossus playing as you imagined him looking you up and down before decking you.

The car suddenly jerked to a stop. You almost hit your head on the dashboard. Clancy chuckled.

"Sorry! Valet dickhead jumped in front of us. But we're here!" he said.

The valet knocked on the driver's side glass.

"Hello? Can I take your car for you? Do you need a luggage carrier?" he peered into the car. Awkwardly opening the door, Clancy motioned for the valet to drive. You exited the car and opened the trunk, getting your things. Clancy stared at the valet before taking your luggage.

"I don't think he knows that the car is already on," he mused. You watched as the valet fumbled around, trying to find the keys, before accidentally jerking the car forward and driving off.

"Anyways. I already checked you in. You're in room 428. Can you meet me back here in the lobby in 20?" he said. You nodded, grabbing the keys from his outstretched hand and rushing inside.

You had to get ready to meet Tyler. You had to look perfect.

~

Ok, maybe looking perfect would be weird. You laid the clothes you had out on the bed.

This dress is too short. You tossed it aside.

This one is too low-cut. Fuck, why did you let Naomi heckle you into bringing these clothes? You had to choose something soon. 

You decided to text Naomi.

"WTF SHOULD I WEAR IM MEETING HIM IN LIKE 30 MINS HELP!!!" you pounded into the screen.

To your surprise, Naomi replied.

"you already know babe..." she said.

"Not helping. I need to pick something quick."

"Look in the side pocket under the underwear." You sighed, knowing it was probably lingerie. You shoved the underwear to the side, pulling out a yellow dress. It was perfect. Not too short, not too long. You put it on, and you looked perfect. But not too perfect, like you spent hours getting ready. You put on a pair of Converse and left the room. Fuck, you were nervous. Silently thanking Naomi in your head, you entered the elevator.