23. 𝑺𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒃𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒇𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

AVONLEA WAS covered with snow as the day carried on. Anne couldn't help but think about the plans she had. She was going to hang out with Gilbert, but obviously Mother Nature had other plans.

"Of all days." Anne groaned as she rolled her eyes. She made her way to the kitchen where Marilla raced around getting ingredients for a cake.

"Marilla. Do you think I could, I don't know, walk to Gilberts?" Anne asked as she watched Marilla crack a few eggs.

"The only way I will allow you to do that if if you make sure you have at least 3 coats on. It's very cold outside." Marilla let out an angry sound as she dropped an egg on the floor.

"Don't you think 3 is a bit excessive?" Anne asked as Marilla cleaned up the floor.

"No. No I do not." Marilla huffed as she washed her hands. Anne gave in, walking to the coat rack to start putting her coats on. She slipped three coats on, immediately rolling her eyes at the heavy material.

"See Marilla, I look ridiculous!" Anne complained when Marilla entered the room.

"You look fine." Marilla said without looking up.

"You didn't even look!" Anne said, throwing her hands up in the air.

"Please child, go." Marilla pleaded, pointing towards the door. Anne sighed, giving up.

"Fine. I'll go." Anne rolled her eyes and stomped out the house. She angrily waved to Matthew and Jerry and started her walk to Gilberts house.

"Of course. Only Marilla would make me wear three coats when I'm going to Gilberts house to go inside." Anne talked to herself as she trudged through the snow. She laughed when a snowflake fell onto her nose, melting as it dripped down her cheek.

"Maybe I should take two of them off and bury them in the snow. She'll never know." Anne pointed out, but quickly dismissed the thought. She imagined her coming home and Marilla immediately noticing she was down 2 layers.

Anne walked up to Gilberts porch, stomping her snowy boots as she knocked on the door. Gilbert opened the door and let out a big laugh when he saw her.

"What are you wearing?" He asked, looking at her. She huffed angrily, glaring at him.

"Courtesy of Marilla." Anne smiled sarcastically. Gilbert nodded, stepping aside to Anne could walk inside the warm house.

"Not yet. I figure if I'm wearing all these layers I should make some use of it." Anne shrugged, turning around to go play in the snow.

"Well, wait for me!" Gilbert called, getting his coat on. He shut the door behind him and ran after Anne. He stopped when she collapsed into the snow and started making snow angels.

"Marilla is going to be mad." Gilbert laughed as he approached her. She looked so care free when he looked at her. Lying back in the snow, hair sprawled out against the snowy ground, laughing as her cheeks flushed pink from the cold.

"You know, sometimes I think Marilla needs to let go." Anne groaned as she sat up, Gilbert gave her his hand to help her get up. She grabbed his hand, but pulled him down on the ground with her. He out a yelp of surprise when he landed face first in the snow.

He sat up, wiping off the snow that stung his face. She hummed pleasantly, watching as he rubbed the snow off of him. She grinned, reaching down in front of her to gather up snow. He wasn't paying attention, which gave her the perfect opportunity to roll the snow up into a ball.

"What are you doing?" Gilbert asked as he watched her slowly stand up. He eyed the snowball in her hand, and cautiously scooted back. Anne raised the snowball, looking him straight in the eye as she flung her hand forward. The snowball hit Gilbert straight in the middle of his face.

"I- That was...okay." Gilbert trailed off. He smirked as he gathered up snow around him into a ball. Anne gasped, and started backing up. She had started this, but he was certainly finishing it.

She ran from him, ducking behind trees as he tauntingly walked towards her.

"You can stop hiding, I won't throw it at you." Gilbert comprised, watching as Anne slowly revealed herself from behind the tree. She pursed her lips, slowly walking towards him.

"Where's Bash?" Anne asked, trying to change the subject.

"Inside. We should probably go warm up." Gilbert shrugged his shoulders. Anne huffed, starting to walk towards the house. She didn't realize Gilbert didn't follow her, and kept trudging through the snow.

She gasped as she felt a snowball hit the back of her head. She clenched her fists as she realized Gilbert tricked her. Anne turned around, and Gilbert gulped when he saw that she was fuming.

"You'll pay for that." Anne yelled as she quickly built snowballs, pelting them at him as she ran forward. He dodged them, jumping and running as more and more came hurtling towards him. A few had hit him, but most brushed past him.

Anne rolled her eyes as he strategically avoided the snowballs. She gave up and ran towards him. He worked to catch his breath as she approached him.

"You don't have much of an arm." Gilbert teased but regretted it when she pulled a snowball from her pocket and chucked it at his forehead.

"Okay, okay. I deserved that." Gilbert surrended. Anne nodded, pleased that he gave up.

"Yes, you did." Anne rolled her eyes.

"I'll miss you." Gilbert randomly spoked. Anne frowned, remembering that their winter break was coming to an end and they would have to wait until summer to see each other again.

She grabbed his face and planted her lips on his. He moved his hand to cup her face, wrapping the other one around her waist.

There they stood, kissing in the snow as their break off from college came to an end.

AUTHORS NOTE
sorry this is short, but I had majors writing block so I thought a bit of cute and playful shirbert would make up for it :(