nine → surprise

hi all - really quick, i changed the name of this book to 'the new girl' because 'something new' just seemed boring to me. xo.
also made new covers that are vogue/editorial themed. lmk your thoughts :)

once again, i am asking you to please vote and comment. do not ghost read pleaseeeeeee it takes half a second to vote and it helps motivate me to write more.
love you guys. 🤍

"Wait that's awesome! So these recruiters are going to be at your next game?" Reagan grinned at her brother. He had just told her how his soccer coach was inviting some college recruiters to come watch a game of theirs.

He nodded, "I'm pretty nervous, but my coach seems to be pretty confident in Liam and I."

The two pulled into the driveway of their house, both confused to see both Madeline and their Dad's cars there as well. Usually it was only Madeline that was home this early.

"That's weird..." she mumbled to her brother.

Upon opening their front door, the siblings were greeted with yelling.

"Miranda I can assure you they don't want to see you. You need to leave now!" They heard their Dad's voice belt out. Peter Ellis had only ever yelled like this on two occasions - one, when Reagan and Wesley broke their grandmother's favorite vase while running around the house even after being told to stop. And two, the night before their mother had skipped town on them.

Warily, the two followed the sound of the yelling into their living room. There, seated on the couch next to Peter and Madeline was an unfamiliar woman, tears streaming down her face.

"D-Dad...?" Wesley muttered, causing all three heads to snap in their direction.

Reagan stared at the woman across from her wondering where she had seen her before. "Who is that?" she said, glancing at her Dad who had a worried expression across his face.

"Hey honey," the woman spoke. "I'm your Mom..."

"What," Reagan choked out, her heart feeling like it was stuck in her throat. She instinctively grabbed Wesley's hand.

"What're you doing here," he spat out, unable to hide the hatred for the woman who abandoned them when they were so young.

Miranda sighed, standing up to make her way over to her kids. "I just want to fix things," she attempted to smile, "apologize to you two, and find a way to be in your lives again."

"Miranda you can't just show up here years later, unannounced. I'm telling you one last time, you need to leave, now!" Peter Ellis said, glaring at the woman in front of him. All he wanted to do was protect his children from yet another heartbreak and disappointment from her.

"Please, just hear me out." she begged. "I was thinking maybe we can talk, the three of us. And then maybe you two can come back to New York with me? We can spend the holiday's there, I can get to know you-"

"Are you kidding me," Reagan whispered, causing everyone to look at her. "Are you KIDDING ME!" she said louder this time, taking everyone in the room by surprise. Reagan was similar to her father in that she was never one to raise her voice. "You don't get to abandon your kids, no explanation, no goodbye, and then show up one day trying to pick up where things left off and expect us to be okay with it." she yelled.

"Reagan-" Miranda tried to stop her, but Wes wasn't having it. He could see how much anger and resentment his sister had pent up for this woman and she needed to just let it out. "No, it's not your turn to talk anymore. You lost that chance when you left us without even a damn goodbye." He then squeezed his sister's hand urging her to continue.