|closer to you • john b|

hi!

thank you so much for 1k! this book is getting so many reads haha

"Are you sure you want to go with me? Like, seriously?"

"John B." I laughed, amused by his sudden nervousness. "I want to go with you!"

He nodded his head quickly. His eyes went from me, to the ocean water. We sat close on the sand, the beach one of our favorite places to meet.

I was a Kook and he was a Pogue. Or rather, Romeo and Juliet born in a totally different era.

Sadly, my feelings for him were very strong, but forced to be hidden. And God knows what he felt for me.

"Well, lets go." John B exclaimed as he stood up.

I followed his lead as we both walked the opposite of the water, and onto land. He had a smile on his face the whole time, opening the door to his van for me.

We were planning on going to the library; to find out more about the Royal Merchant in hopes of finding the gold.

As he started to drive, and the music softly played from the radio, I realized that none of us looked fancy enough. Or rather, rich.

"John B."

"Hm?"

"We have to change." I began. "It's really nice inside, and if we walk in looking like this, there not gonna let us in."

He looked at me with a frown.

"What do you mean they won't let us in? It's just clothes!"

"Trust me, they don't want people who look like they tan way too much and have sand stuck in their hair." I smirked.

"That's a terrible insult, (Y/n). But I appreciate you for trying." John B said softly, placing his hand on my thigh.

If it weren't for the sarcastic comment he just made, I would have immediately blushed and fallen in his arms. But I didn't of course, I just casually tripped over my words like a fool.

"Whatever." I muttered.

The feeling of his hand left, and was replaced by a sudden shiver. What the hell? Why was he so warm?

"Okay, so I don't exactly have any fancy clothes. So I'm going to have to leave this to you, (Y/n). Don't mess this up." He said, pointing in my direction.

•••

"No way. No way! I'm not wearing this-"

"John B. Quiet. This isn't Walmart." I spoke in a hushed tone, holding up a pink polo shirt against him.

He sighed, leaning against the wall. We were surrounded by expensive clothes. This was definitely a sight that I would never think to see John B in.

"Does it at least make my eyes pop?"

He looked at me with a pout, his eyes batting towards me flirtatiously. I stared at him wide-eyed, cringing at the sight of him.

"No. Take the blue one." I laughed softly.

He grinned at me widely, and held the outfit I picked out for him in his hands. I walked across the store, going into the women's section.

I began shuffling through dress racks, hoping to find one that I could at least wear again.

"Can I pick it out for you?" John B asked from over my shoulder.

I immediately froze. He has never gotten this close to me before, let alone with his face in the crook of my neck.

"Uh- sure."

I almost jumped when he wrapped an arm around my waist, pulling me deeper into the store.

We both walked around, John B having no clue as to what to pick for me. His arm was still lightly draped around my waist, making me suppress the urge to blush whenever he looked down at me.

"Oh! How about this?"

He left me standing alone to take down a short dress off the rack. I frowned at him, which he did in return, and nodded my head no.

"But it's so pretty." He said while holding it up.

"Fine." I grumbled, walking into the dressing room. John B followed quickly behind me as we both parted separately to change.

As I closed the door, and hurriedly took of my remaining clothes, I hesitantly grabbed the dress. It was actually really pretty, with flowers and lace.

My worry was that it would be way too short.

Once I had slipped it on, I called out for John B. He replied with a grunt, and that he was finally ready.

I sighed to myself. I really hoped I wouldn't look like an overgrown moron wearing this.

Stepping out, I saw John B wearing the outfit I picked for him. A smile appeared on my face. He looked even more handsome than ever.

"You look good." I complimented.

He grinned as he fixed one of the buttons on the shirt, but once he looked up at me, his gaze shifted.

He stared wide-eyed at me. There was a glimmer in his eyes as he looked at me intently.

"You look... beautiful." He murmured, running a hand through his hair, his focus never leaving my blushing face.

"Thank you." I beamed.

"No, really, your absolutely gorgeous."

hope you enjoyed! i wrote this in a rush and i know it's not my best lol