Chapter 5- Playing My Own Side

Start from the beginning

"Anyway, I didn't hear about the hex until after, as you know," I continue, recalling the day I found out about Sean. "I did leave for New Orleans, however, since Marcel called to say the witches were causing some kind of trouble and Kieran called me to tell me about the coven because Sean knew how much I hate ancestral magic."

"Why?"

"Because it's an abomination, any kind of sacrificial magic is an abomination."

"So the girls truly die and Jane-Anne was to send her daughter to a slaughter?"

"Not exactly. It would work, the girls die, spend a few nights on the Ancestral Plain, learning things with the ancestors, then they come back with a connection to them."

"Then why is it so terrible?"

"Because Nik, magic like this is fickle, anyone can highjack it and if they are powerful and smart enough, they can keep it for themselves and protect themselves from the ancestors and I've had a bad feeling about this harvest. I was having dreams of the power being stolen but by the time we got there, two girls were already dead. I went to help Davina, who was trying to fight, and saved her as they killed Monique. Marcel and I brought her to a safe place the witches wouldn't look for her. Marcel's been protecting her ever since."

"Why does it matter if the witches find her? She's clearly more powerful than any of them."

"Because she can't do magic unconscious, not to mention there are herbs that can take away magic like Kol and my friends used on me. All they would have to do is get her to Agnes and they would have their harvest. I won't lose Davina." Klaus's phone rings and he walks outside to answer it. I wait for him to get out of earshot before turning to Marcel. "He's distracting you. Rebekah is up to something."

"Do you think D's in danger?" He asks, worried, but I shake my head.

"No, it's something else. Something he doesn't want you knowing about. Why are you guys here?"

"Bunch of witches were slaughtered in the bayou, I told him we would check it out, why?"

I nod. "Agnes," I spit out her name with hatred. "Convinced Hayley to visit a doctor in the bayou, saying the Quarter isn't safe which, apparently, Thierry sent a couple of vamps to kill Hayley thanks to that tramp Katie, so good riddance. You're lucky Bekah showed up and killed them except for the one that attacked Katie, clearly compelled by the way, not that you care," I scoff, angry that he has Thierry locked in the garden, knowing it was a setup.

"The Bayou, Jess."

"Oh, right. Well Hayley went there but it was a setup. Agnes was trying to kill Hayley because Sabine had some vision of the baby bringing destruction to all witches and of course she opened her big mouth, even though it was probably a lie, like most of her visions, and now they're trying to kill the baby. By the way, I want Sabine and Agnes's heads on a pike." He chuckles.

"You can't do that, Jess. You're powerful but if you go after that whole coven, they might just be able to take you."

I scoff before I remember something. "You have a nightwalker I met after the masquerade. Josh," I tell him.

He looks at me confused. "Since when do you care about my nightwalkers?"

"I don't, I care about Josh. I like him. He was nice, honest, even if he did look like he was about to shit himself after seeing what I did to Katie. Anyway, I want to befriend him and if I decide he's worth my time, I'll make him a daylight ring. I thought I should let you know so that you don't worry that someone is plotting against you and all that. Plus, you can tell everyone else that Josh was handpicked by someone far better and if they don't like it they can take it up with me," I smile innocently and he laughs as Klaus walks back in.