9 - where did it go?

Start from the beginning

"OH mYy goOoD!" I freak out. My hands start to shake uncontrollably as excitement overwhelms me. "You're so cool!" I gush. "All your research in genetic mutations and the impact they have in the human body is amazing, not to mention the extensive reports on the RNA responses—"

"KID—" Nat interrupts, shouting over me. I now realize my voice had slowly been rising as I rambled. "You're gonna kill him." She laughs lightly and gestures to Dr. Banner.

The guy looks like he's about to explode with pride. The edges of his mouth twitch up into a smile, his eyes wide with realization. "You mean you actually study my research?"

"Every bit." I smile brightly at him. Dr. Banner snaps himself out of it and quickly reinserts the IV back into my arm. "Ouch." I hiss a breath of air in between my teeth. "What even happened?"

"Well, you showed up to my lab bleeding, passed out, now you're here." Tony explains with crossed arms. I lift up the hem of my shirt to find the bullet wound wrapped in clean gauze. No doubt, it's healed by now.

"We should check on that wound." Dr. Banner sighs and moves to pull the gauze off.

"Uh..." I push away from him. If he finds out the wound is healed, they're definitely gonna have a few questions.

"Peter, what's up?" Nat smirks, then her smirk falls into a frown as she realizes that there actually might be a problem. "Is everything okay?"

"No—yeah!" I wave her off and give her the smiliest-grimace possible. "Everything's fine!" I inch my way off the bed, somehow hoping that no one might notice. Thank god I'm still wearing the clothes I came to the tower in. "Everything is just fine." As fast as I can, I rip the IV out again. 

"Peter..." Clint eases, eyes wide as he realizes I'm about to book it for the exit. He throws himself on the door, preventing my escape. My only other option would be the window, but that would give me away so fast. "Just let Bruce check the wound."

What am I supposed to say? 'No, you don't have to! I have super healing because I'm Spider-Man!' Heck no!

Dr. Banner tries to pull the gauze off again, but I flinch away. "Can I try?" Nat asks gingerly. She must think I'm afraid of Dr. Banner or something. I have to let them do it, otherwise they'll have more questions. So, Nat carefully approaches me and lifts the gauze off my wound.

Yup. It's gone. The entire room gasps as they see the previously disgusting bullet wound is completely healed, not even a scar to prove it was ever there. "Peter..." Nat's eyebrows bunch as she studies the healed wound. "Where did it go?"

[panic attack trigger warning]

It feels like I can't breathe. Well, maybe that's because I can't. My head starts to spin as I struggle to find a way out of this. I can't leave the room, everyone is staring at me, they know I'm a freak but they don't know why.

My vision becomes blurry with tears. The nails at the tips of my fingers dig into my palms as my fists clench and unclench methodically. Voices are calling my name, but I can't focus on them. I'm stuck inside my own head. "Peter, calm down." Nat's voice breaks through the onslaught of noise. "Everyone get out!" She barks.

A chorus of "What?"s and "Hell no!"s echo through the room.

"I said get out!" She yells at them. Everyone but Natasha leaves, probably waiting just outside the door. "Peter, you're gonna need to focus on me, okay, bud?"