Chapter 6

The day I was discharged from the hospital, I looked around me to see how the other patients had been sharing time with either a familiar or a friend. I furrowed my brows at Daniel Jameson, my P.A.

"Has nobody came to visit me?", I asked, feeling a sudden emotion in my chest as I looked how everyone had someone to be with.

Daniel smiled shyly. "Sir, you said that people should be worrying about themselves rather than in you, that everyone should be focusing on working... that's why nobody came", he explained to me and I tilted my head. I do remember saying that, but I was kind of regretting it.

Ever since my successful heart transplant surgery, I've been feeling odd.

There were things that started to make more sense to me, every kind of small emotion that made me want to hold my tongue back. I wasn't like that before; I wasn't afraid to speak out my mind as I did now.

"Jameson let's go to the Black Building", I instructed him as he looked at me in disbelief.

"B-but sir, you have to rest!", he said, almost refusing to take me there. I glared at him. "R-right away", he nodded and proceeded to open the car door for me and then he drove all the way to the tall building I've managed to make mine in five years. My pride. My hard work.

As Daniel was parking the car, I asked him about my heart transplant surgery. Dr. Oaks didn't give me much information since he was running around and probably, he was just as tired as I was after that surgery. "Jameson, do you know who's the heart donor?", I asked out of curiosity.

He laughed nervously. "I don't, but I can look into it if you want, sir", he said politely.

"Please do so"

Entering my building and watching with a newfound pride how everything worked out smoothly. As I walked my way to the elevators, people would greet me with respect as I smiled and nodded at them.

Daniel seemed to have seen a ghost, but he remained quiet. Somehow, that was funny to me as I kept smiling.

I don't know if I was happy that I was still alive, that I had one more chance to keep living. When Dr. Oaks and foreign specialists told me that I had a few months to live, I was devastated. I was so focused on my anger that I started doing everything that was in my hands to destroy those who ruined my life, twenty-five years ago.

I was seven when my father died because of the same heart disease I had. But when his last will came out, my mother found out that my uncle had manipulated it to his advantage – in it, he became the sole benefactor. The worst part of it was that he left us out with nothing. A few months later... my mother...

"Mr. Jackson, welcome back", the receptionist snapped me out of my thoughts as I nodded at him.

"It feels good to be back", I smiled widely at him and he had the same expression in his face as Daniel had, as if he had seen a ghost. I shook my head as I walked into the main office, the core of my company.

My employees seemed to be frozen at the sight of me as I looked at them and smiled even wider. "Hello everybody, I've missed you", I said, putting a hand over my chest as they imitated Daniel's expression. I couldn't even frown at the sight of it, I was just so glad to be standing on my own two feet with a new healthy beating heart.

"Mr. Jackson", Karen's voice filled my ears as I turned to see her. "Now that you're here, I've got to talk to you", she seemed to be upset, her blonde hair perfectly tied up. I could tell her mood because of the unusual frown she had.

"Thank you for your hard work, everyone, keep it up", I said and somehow, I started to notice that I was feeling out-of-character. Well, I have been feeling like this since I woke up from the surgery.