Chapter Eleven ~ 3000

"So you're really sure you didn't sleep with him?" Miranda says inquisitively.

"I'm almost certain. I'm pretty sure I'd remember it, and I trust Robert wouldn't lie to me. I remember him carrying me into the apartment and tucking me into bed though, he took good care of me so I doubt he'd be the type to take advantage. Seriously Rands, I was hammered. I can't remember the last time I got that wasted!" I reply, flopping onto the sofa with a tub of vanilla ice cream and a spoon before switching on speakerphone.

"Wow; Prince Charming eat your heart out. You'll have the guy rescuing you from dragon-guarded towers in no time Ken." We both giggle as I place a spoonful of ice cream into my mouth.

"It gets way worse too. My Dad was here this weekend, he stayed in the spare room last night. So I did the polite thing and introduced him to Robert this morning. Big regrets," I reply, spooning in another mouthful.

"No way! What happened?"

"Well," I swallow the ice cream and continue, "he kept being all condescending towards Robert for starters. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how Robert reacted to that." I hear Miranda scoff down the phone. "And then Robert decided to play the age game, so now I feel kinda weird that I'm fantasising over a man who's one year younger than my Dad." Miranda's scoff turns into real laughter at my last statement, and after having said it aloud for the first time, I find myself laughing at my situation even more than Miranda.

"If nothing else...daddy issues aside, at least you finally admitted to having a thing for the guy."

"Reluctantly," I respond, cracking up.

"I can't believe some guy you met three and a half months ago got to meet your Dad before I did."

"Well it wasn't exactly my intention." I place the spoon I'm holding into the ice cream tub and pause from eating. "If it's any consolation, I wish it could've been you instead too. Robert is now apprehensive since he came to the conclusion that Daniel is in fact a cokehead."

"Cocaine? Jheeze, how the hell could he know just from meeting him one time?" she asks. I pause for thought. I couldn't possibly drop Robert in the shit by telling Miranda the truth, even if she is my best friend. I respect Robert too much for that. I saw the pain it caused to remind himself of his past, just to warn me; his face said it all.

"He almost lost a friend to addiction, so he knows a lot more about it than most. I'm torn, Rands. I know Robert wouldn't try to sabotage something that made me happy for no reason, but I equally don't want to believe it's true, or worse, confront Daniel about it."

"I think you should talk to him...'cause if you don't, it's just gonna keep bugging you until it's off your chest." I sigh, knowing Miranda speaks truth.

"I'll have to talk to him next weekend. Right now I'm just relieved I'm not caught up in the alpha male battle between him and Robert. Anyway, what happened to you last night?"

"Well," she says slowly, "of course I met a guy."

"Oh, of course," I answer, grinning down the phone. "So who's this one? Full name?"

"Christopher Evans, but to me is was Chris," she says devilishly, "and believe me you have never seen biceps bigger than his"

"Age?"

"Thirty eight; apparently you're not the only one partial to an older man." We both chuckle.

"There's a difference between you being almost eight years younger than this Chris dude, and me being exactly half Robert's age," I retort, receiving another giggle from Miranda in return. "How tall?"