1 - Sacred Grounds Where You Once Smiled

[Unedited]

There was a special place you would always go to; the Sacred Grounds. It was the place you watched your best friend become officially knighted as the princess's guard. Or to be more accurate, you watched the one your heart ached, for good and for bad.

It wasn't the most fantastic place, compared to all the other places you were able to visit. Being a knight had its perks; special training, a respectable reputation; a proud status to bring to your family name. But deep down you always knew your goals were always to protect that special someone, even if he didn't really need it in the end.

Perhaps it was mostly you who felt peace being around him, but on his end, he could potentially dread your presence. Always by his side any chance you took. Not even you, as someone he grew close with since childhood, did he really say what was on his mind.

On the very same Sacred Grounds, remembering how princess Zelda gave her blessings to honor the new knight (even being painstakingly obvious how much she disliked it). Even by not looking around, keeping his eyes closed the entire ceremony, he was delighted that you came. For not being such an affectionate person, he wanted you to at least know your presence, whether you thought if it was annoying, was very much appreciated.

Even now as he stands, smiling at the fond memories. He could understand how annoyed princess Zelda must have been, having himself chase after her since, at the end of the day, was his duty to protect her at all costs. With you, however, it was never irritating. It reminded him of little bright chested ducks, following their mother in the pond. That's how it came to see you in his eyes.

The warmth you always brought yourself in, like a weightless cape that you wore with unprecedented pride. The way you would call his name and bombard him with questionnaires and facts about anything and everything, leaving him little to no chances to really give answers. Not that he wanted to anyway, as long as he could hear your voice.

It wasn't until now, 100 years later, that he took your friendship, and if not, your love, for granted.

There he stood, at the Sacred Grounds, rusted and brushed in a relic atmosphere. Only his memories could fill in the void in such where your laughter should be. Alas, he knew something like that wouldn't happen.

You were already gone while he still remained.

He blamed himself, even if he knew you would scold him not to in your ghost form. If only you could. Just so long he could hear that voice again.

But in the end, he can't help but smile. Who knew he had always had a protector since childhood; one who always brought a warm feeling every time they've shown themselves. You were much like the fairly lights in the night; bright, yet can never take his eyes off of you.

In his hand he carried a bouquet of flowers he managed to remember you liked all those years ago. There were never that many back in the day, but until he had finally awoken from so many long years, it had grown all over Hyrule Field. 

A sign, perhaps, that your light would always bless the land he walked upon. Whatever it may be, his heart cried, and yet, it carried the same light you carried in yourself. Like a baton pass from one to the other - that little push of strength to keep him going.

He looked back to the place he remembered you stood while he had been knighted that day. It was for a brief moment where he glanced back, but that smile - that smile he never knew he would miss so much. Yet also a smile that became his source of strength to save the land he knew you loved with all your heart.

Much like how you loved the heart of Hyrule itself, including the chosen... no... the boy from Hateno you came to love.