Chapter Eighteen

The door was finally slammed shut. The chaos before was bad but what ensued was worse. My parents immediately began to argue… though about what I couldn’t quite catch. Noah turned to me and started asking questions faster than the reporters.

“You’re dating a popstar?!?” Noah shrieked.

“We’re not dating.” I tell him immediately.

“What we’re you thinking befriending a famous boy?” My dad sighs with exasperation

“Well, I didn’t exactly know.” I pick at my fingernails nervously

“You what?!?” My mom cries out

“Ididntexactlyknowhewasfamous!” I blurt out nervously

“This is exactly why I don’t like her walking the streets alone!” My mom says, now addressing my dad

I wasn’t exactly sure what to think. Was I mad at Niall? Had he really done anything wrong? I wanted to defend him. Because if I didn’t defend him, I might lose the one friend I had made on my own. Niall had lied to me. He had led me to believe he was someone he wasn’t. Niall had kept me in the dark for…. for what? Because he could? For the pleasure of being normal? Regardless of his reasoning, Niall had broken my trust.

“Did he pay you?” My dad grabs me by my shoulders

“What?” I pull back, “No!”

“Then what did he do?” Mom pushes “What did he promise you?”

“What is so wrong with him liking me?!?!” I yell

They’re quite. Neither of them attempt to explain. But it was clear that my own parents couldn’t see why anyone would want me.

I grasp blindly at the stairs and take them two at a time. I needed out. But running outside wasn’t an option. I could still faintly hear the sound of reporters outside. The only place I could hide was my room. Like a child, I slam the door, hoping to make a point.

The tears are hot on my cheeks.

I felt like everything was crumbling around me. Niall had fallen. My parents had practically just decided to keep me as Rapunzel for the rest of my life. Hunter wasn’t here and my father was still as absent as can be.

My father would understand

I remember my first kiss. The one that boy had stolen from my lips.

“Im sorry for…” the boy stops nervously, “kissing you.”

“And?” my father asks sternly

“with out your consent.” He adds

“It’s fine.” I say nervously.

“No it’s not.” My father interjects. “Now you get out of here before I make it so and your friends never have any children.”

The boy races off. I think I hear him swearing under his breath; something about me having too much baggage and not ever being worth it, as if he had any intention of staying. It was mortifying. Most of the boys already thought I was weird… Its just what I needed. More of them thinking I was weird AND that my father is crazy.

“Elliana. It’s not okay. No one should be pardoned from that.” He takes my hand, and we begin to walk home.

“Dad. They already think I’m weird. I don’..

“Elliana. You are worth so much more than what those other people think of you. No one can make you any less than what you are. Live your life to its full expression.”

He presses his lips to my forehead carefully and we continue walking.

 He would have understood this.. or at least wouldn’t have questioned why anyone would want me. I let myself sink helplessly to the floor. Like a damsel in distress I had become nothing without my man. But he wasn’t just a prince in shining armor. Niall had become my friend. My normality. I had always longed to be normal. And just when I had it in my grasps, it all slipped away.

            I wipe hot tears from my eyes. I did what any ‘logical girl’ would have. I needed answers to this madness. You want the apple, you look for the tree… I called him

            The phone rings. Once. My heart pound loudly        

            Twice. My lungs search for air.

            Thrice. I nearly lose my courage

            “Hello?”

            I can’t say anything.

            “Hello?”

            My voice sticks.

            “Ellie?”

            The damn breaks.

            “When were you going to tell me? Why didn’t you tell me? My did you lie to me Niall?” 

            “Woah, what are you talking about?”

            “Don’t play dumb. Niall Horan of One Direction.”

            “Oh.”

            A long silence hangs between us. I can hear him breathing unsteadily on the other side. Once or twice it sounds like he’s about to say something but he doesn’t. What do you do in this sort of situation? There wasn’t exactly an easy audiobook guide “For blind girls who have just learned that her almost-boyfriend is an international superstar.”

            “I thought it wouldn’t matter to you.” He says meekly.

            “Then why didn’t you tell me?”

            “I don’t know. You never asked.”

            “It’s not exactly something that’s dinner conversation.”

            “Why does it even matter to you?”

            I pause. I can still hear the paparazzi chattering away in the front yard. I can hear my dad out there answering questions.

            “Why does it matter? It matters because it’s a part of you that’s now exploded onto me. There is who knows how many news vans in my front lawn and accusations that we’re dating!”

            There is another long pause between us.

            “You say it like it’s a disease to be dating me.”

            “It might as well be. Niall you lied to me. You’re just like everyone else.”

            I slam down the phone. I cry.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I'M BACKKKKKK

Well that just happened!

Who do you think needs to apolagize more? Leave a comment and tell me your thoughts.