Chapter Eight

We’ve been walking and talking about movies and pop culture for the last half hour. We didn’t share many similarities in movie preferences, but I didn’t mind. Listening to Niall gush about his favorite movies was plenty fun. Eventually we looped around to the classic conversation game, twenty questions.

            “Celebrity crush?” Niall starts us off

            “Morgan Freeman.” I blurt without hesitation, “I love his voice.”

            Niall laughs at this. I guess this wasn’t a typical answer.

            “What about you?”

            “Kendall Jenner, she has nice eyes.” Niall answers after a moment of thinking

            “Hey, you’re not wearing your sunglasses.” Niall says, and I feel his eyes on me suddenly.

            “I don’t need them at night.” I look away quickly. I hated how the cataracts made my eyes look. They we’re all glazed over and stupid looking now. After the cataracts fully took over, I never left the house without sunglasses. I simply couldn’t stand my eyes.

            “It’s your turn.”

            “If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?” he asks

            “Japan. I think it would smell wonderful and terrible, just the senses it would bring.”

            “It’s so crowded though.” Niall sounds uncomfortable.

            “Do you not like crowds?” I inquire

            “I’m claustrophobic.”

            “I’m am as well. I think.” I shrug.

            “Turn here.” He grabs my arm and helps me turn a corner.

            “Where are you from?” I grab to his arm, linking arms like an old couple would.

            “Isn’t it my turn?” Niall fakes offense

            “Seriously, I can’t quite pin point it. It’s Irish isn’t it?”

            “Mullingar Ireland.”

            I nod simply.

            “You have no idea where that is do you?” Niall laughs

            “Does anyone?”

            “About a thousand fa… nobodies…”

            “A thousand what’s?”

            “Nobody, it’s my turn.”

            I sense an edge push into Niall’s voice. I felt myself slip and lose ground. One second he would be happy as ever and the next he was in a box.

            “Who was your first kiss?”

            “To be honest, I don’t know.”

            “I thought you we’re holding out. Too many to remember Ellie?” Niall attempts to joke.

            My eyes well with tears that I can’t contain. I was 13 and out of nowhere there was a pair of lips mashed against mine. The park filled with whooping and laughter. As quickly as he had come the disgusting high school senior was gone. There was no magic, no love, not even mutual affection. That was my first kiss.

            Several more had followed like that, I never knew who it was. Some of them didn’t even happen when I was alone. I had been out walking with my birthfather once when another happened. My father had chased him down and made him apologize. It changed nothing. I was used and taken advantage of.

            “Ellie?” Niall stops noticing my tears. I can’t hold them back anymore. I’m crying full on now. How embarrassing. Why now?

            “I didn’t even have a choice.” I sob stupidly.

            Niall turns and wraps his arms around me carefully. He makes careful cooing noises, trying to calm me. I just bury my face in his chest.

            “Shhh, it’s okay. It’s in the past.”

            My body shakes with each sob that escapes my lips. Niall squeezes me closer, trying to stop the convulsing. I swallow hard trying to regain composure. My breathing is still heavy and I squeak my arms between us so I can wipe my eyes.

            “They take advantage of me.” I say through gasps, “I’m so vulnerable.”

            “They’re idiots. I’m sorry” he whispers

            I’m breathing a little more steadily, but my lips are quivering. Niall isn’t squeezing me as tight; I just let him hug me for a while. It was nice to feel safe. Nothing felt like it could go wrong. It was good.

            “It’s okay. It’s okay.” He repeats slowly, pressing his forehead to the top of my head.

            I look up and attempt to smile.

            “Your eyes.” Niall gasps

            I hadn’t realized that obviously he would be able to see my eyes this close. Hoping to hide them I glance down immediately. Niall lets me go to catch my chin in his hands.

            “They’re beautiful.”

            “Please don’t lie about it.” I snort. People would tell me that I didn’t need to worry about them and that they we’re beautiful, but they all lied. There was nothing normal about my eyes.

            “No really they’re beautiful.” He smiles.

            “Okay, sure.” My voice drips with disbelief. I pull away from him and use my cane to guide me.

            “Ellie.” Niall falls into stride, “They really are wonderful.”

            “What’s so wonderful about them?” I laugh angrily. “The weird glazed pupils? The way they stare blankly?”

            “They’re the most beautiful brown I’ve ever seen.” He shrugs. “Its not a muddy color, more like a pure milk chocolate, or a dark caramel.

            Nobody really comments on what color they are. Many times have I overheard people whispering about how I looked like Medusa. Often had people commented on what a pity it was that my eyes looked like they did. Never before had anyone stopped and told me how pretty the brown was.

            “Sorry.” I sigh, “I’m an emotional wreck tonight. I should just go home.”

            “No.” Niall protests, “If you go home I’m stuck with the love birds.”

            “They’re nothing to do around here.” I shrug. This town was singlehandedly the most boring place on earth.

            “No it’s not! I saw this great place yesterday.” Niall informs me eagerly.

            I’m unconvinced but I let him lead the way. We link arms again. It just makes the walking go faster, I convince myself. But deep down I couldn’t help but hope it was something more.

~ Sorry for not posting this earlier. I've been going through a tough spot with a friend.

Anyways, hope you love it

Don't forget to vote and comment. Hearing from you and what you think makes me super excited and happy

TTFN <3