Chapter Fourteen: No Rest For The Thinker

Start from the beginning

I kick my feet against the chair in anticipation. I'm going to travel to another dimension! I cannot believe I am thinking that, it's so exciting! My parents better be alive, I want to yell at them for how many days I cried in their absence, and hug them, because it does not matter anymore, they're coming home.

"When do we leave?" I ask, projecting louder than necessary and causing my own ears to ring.

Maximus holds up a finger, finishing up a bite of food. "Later today after both of you get some rest! There will likely not be time for sleeping during your search."

"Wouldn't it be better if we put off going for a week or so? I have four cracked ribs that will prove an issue if we run into trouble." Grayson says.

I can barely hear what he's saying, but when I close my eyes and focus I catch enough pieces to fill in the gaps. Both of use turn our attention to Maximus. A week seems reasonable, considering he probably needs to gather whatever necessary equipment we need to complete this journey safely, and return home after.

Home. I never thought I'd come to feel that way about this lonely mansion. My mom banned Maximus from seeing me when I was younger. Will that rule still stand once I bring her back? Even after all he's done for me? For us?

Closing my eyes, I sigh happily, imagining the warm hug my dad will give me if we find him. No, when we find him. They are alive, I need to believe that, or the risk is for nothing.

"There's no time for that. We have to find them before... The seasons change." Maximus replies, receiving a look of disbelief from Grayson.

It's obvious the two of them are hiding something. I narrow my eyes, I intend to find out what. Maximus has known me longer than Grayson, why the hell would he tell him a thing that he keeps from me? It's not fair!

"Can I be excused?" I ask, pushing my plate forward to indicate its emptiness.

Maximus nods, ushering me away with the flick of his hand.

I push away from the table, storming out of the room, and slamming the door purposefully loud behind me. He needs to know exactly how angry I am, it might cause him to change his mind and let me in on their little secret... Or at least make them feel guilty for keeping it from me.

A big yawn comes upon me. Rest sounds nice, after all I was just up all night experiencing more weird than most people have to see within a lifetime.

The doors swing wide just as I start up the staircase, "Kai! Wait!"

I turn around to see Grayson sprinting towards me with a container of salt. "Here." He huffs, offering it to me while he leans heavily on the railing.

"What's this for?" I ask, taking it and raising my eyebrows.

He breathes heavily a couple more times before looking up at me. "Maximus said to sprinkle it around your bed, to stop the ghosts from interrupting your sleep."

"Oh okay, thanks." I say, taking a few more steps. I stop, fear settling over me at the thought of encountering ghosts by myself.

The ice that nearly impaled us as we ran seems like a lifetime ago. But at the same time, that nightmare happened, and could easily become reality again.

"Grayson? Can you walk me to my room?" I ask timidly.

Having to ask for someone else's help makes me feel weak, and stupid. But I'd rather feel that way than be alone against otherworldly forces that tried to kills us.

"Sure, but you'll have to tell me where to go. I can't say I know this places layout, it's huge." Grayson declares coming up beside me.

I reach down, grabbing his hand to assure myself that he will not leave me mid-way to my destination. His entire face turns red, but he says nothing as we start towards the thin stairway that I always dread taking.