Chapter 2

Zac and I entered the ballroom, the song being played was close to ending. So, Zac and I waited for the next song to start.

The next song was a fun and joyous tune. I actually couldn't stop laughing, as we swirled around. We stayed together until I was pulled away from him and forced to join my father and David for the closing speeches. Soon Zac's face disappeared into the crowd, I looked everywhere trying to get another glimpse. He was nowhere to be found.

Even as the gratitude - filled farewells echoed around the room. I couldn't find him. Sad and disappointed I went to leave and go back to my bed chamber's. As I exited the room, I felt a soft hand on my left shoulder. I turned hoping it was Zac, it wasn't, it was Uncle Stefan.

"Let me walk you to your bed chamber's Princess. Maybe on the way you can tell me what is troubling you. Was it that boy you were dancing with by chance? Do you want me to throw him in the dungeons for hurting you, my lady?" Stefan held my hand, he seemed to always know when I was unhappy. It was like he possessed a special gift that allowed him to pick up on my moods.

I chuckled a bit, before replying

"No, he didn't do anything bad. I'm just disappointed that I didn't get to say Goodbye. It's like he just disappeared into thin air. Maybe he wanted to get away from me? Maybe I disgust him?" I said defeated.

Stefan stopped, and stood in front of me. He looked at me with his gentle eyes and whispered,

" Don't say that. From what I saw of the two of you dancing and laughing together. He really liked you Princess. Actually, he was smitten. It was so darn adorable." Stefan said smiling.

"You really think so Uncle?" I replied hopeful.

"Of course. You were the most beautiful girl there. He would be silly to think you were disgusting. Now stop with this nonsense." He grabbed a hold of my hand again and we walked the rest of the way to my room in silence.

As we said our goodnight's, Uncle Stefan promised that he'd find out who this Zac boy belonged to, and invite him to Breakfast the following morning.

I went to bed wishing and hoping with all I had that Uncle Stefan would be successful in finding Zac. I hardly slept, I was too excited by the possibility of seeing him again.

The following morning I was up even before the sun.

When it was time for breakfast I rushed down stairs. Noblewomen and other princesses  would've spent forever preparing themselves in the mirror. I just wanted to see Zac and didn't care about how I looked. I arrived to see my Father and David patiently waiting at the table. I took my place and questioned my Father,

"Dad, where's uncle Stefan?"

Stefan always joined us for meals. He was a part of our family and has always been ever since I remember. I loved him like a Father and unbeknownst to them I knew my real Father loved him too but not like me, he loved Stefan more.

"It seems he is fetching a special guest to join us for breakfast. There will be another official breakfast for our guests in two hours. But Stefan was adamant that this special guest should join us. So you know what happens when Uncle Stefan gets an idea in his head, he won't give up until he achieves it."

Father said with a smile on his face, happiness and adoration reflecting in his eyes.

Not long after I arrived the door to the room flew open and Uncle Stefan's cheery voice filled the room.

"Come, we've set up a special place just for you Zac, right next to Princess Misha."

My face burnt, as I watched Zac take a seat next to me. His hair shone in the morning light.

"Good morning Princess. It's a pleasure to see you again." He smiled at me. I was shaking with happiness and excitement.

We ate breakfast and Zac made conversation with everyone, he broke etiquette rules, made very bad jokes, but no-one cared, I didn't even care. They were all laughing with him. The way he acted told me he was not of distinguished society, but a commoner. Even when he rested his hand on my knee, and we sneakily held hands under the table.

This was a very inappropriate way to treat a Princess. It didn't bother me, but it made me curious. Who was he? Even noblemen knew basic etiquette and to not touch a Princess, the way he was touching me. Zac was either oblivious to the rules or deliberately disobeyed them.

Once we were allowed to leave, Zac and I wandered around the castle grounds, we only had a couple of hours to spend together before he was due to leave. I tried to get to know him, but he seemed to evade my questions or change the subject. After an hour together, all I knew about him was the kingdom he came from. It was a weeks ride to the east.

I finally had enough of his evasion and stopped him. I needed answers

"You're not royalty or of noble blood are you?"

Zacs face went red, and he seemed saddened by my directness.

"Would it matter if I was, Princess? Would you feel differently if I was nothing more than a common peasant?"

He seemed to get angrier after he asked the second question. He misinterpreted my question as nothing more than a shallow, judgmental question of his pedigree.

"Zac, even if you were a common peasant. I would still feel the same, I'd still dance with you, I'd still be holding your hand right now. I've never cared about titles, pedigree, and wealth. If you knew me better and spent time with my family, you'd understand how very different we are from other royals."

Zac was shocked by my answer, he was speechless for a good few minutes.

We were facing each other, he had let go of my hand after I questioned him. His blue eyes shone. He spoke to me in a shocked whisper,

"You really mean that Princess?"

"Yes, I meant every word." I answered.

Zac moved closer and pulled me into an embrace. He smelt of leather and sea spray. It comforted me. In that moment we shared our first ever kiss. It was sweet but also awkward. His lips were soft like rose petals, his skin was like silk as I gently ran my hand down his cheek.

After the moment passed, we continued holding hands as we walked. He answered my question proudly.

"You are right, Princess. I'm not of royal or noble blood. I am a commoner taken on as a squire by Sir Stuart, he is an anointed and well decorated knight. He is jousting champion of my kingdom and he has fought in a quite a few battles. He is talented in the use of spears and his strength in battle is the long sword. He has been teaching me his ways for the past eight months. I hope to be like him one day."

" You admire him than?" I asked

"Yes, princess." He replied

We talked for a little while longer, Zac was more open with me. He told me the reason I couldn't find him after the ball because Sir Stuart had witnessed our dancing together and reprimanded him for attending a ball he was not invited to. I asked him to write to me and he requested I do the same. As we were about to part ways, Zac stopped. I could tell by the look on his face that he was having a personal crisis of sorts, it was like he wanted to tell me something... something important, but he couldn't bring himself to say it.

I was about to encourage him to open up, but Sir Stuart was calling him, it was time for them to leave. We kissed one last time, I stood there and watched Zac disappear into the distance. I will miss him. I hoped that some time in the future he would finally tell me what he wanted to tell me, before we were interrupted.