"Stay, Connor is not here that means we don't have to work"

"But..."

"We will have to do it again tomorrow, let tomorrow come tomorrow. I want to just rest" Destiny sighs as she lies on the carpeted floor and Crystal smiles.

"Do you want me to braid your hair?" Crystal asks and Destiny squeals as she runs to her room to get her hair band and comb.

*******

"Do you have a mom Crystal?" Destiny asks as Crystal combs Destiny's hair.

"I used to have one" Crystal replies.

"Did you get to see her?" she asks and Crystal nods her head.

"I did not" Destiny confesses and Crystal pauses before she hugs Destiny from behind.

"We lost dad when I was in mom's womb, he fell off the horse and snapped his neck. And then mom was sick, she must have loved dad very much, she was too weak, she died on child birth...

I have never celebrated my birthday; we just mourn for her" Destiny's words break Crystal's heart.

"Maybe this year we can celebrate it, I will make the cake" Crystal offers and Destiny smiles as she turns to face her.

"You will?" she asks hopefully and Crystal nods her head.

"Yeah, we will all get dressed and we will cut the cake, sing you a birthday song and have lots of food" Crystal grins and Destiny squeals as she hugs Crystal.

"I would love that" the girls gasps.

*******

Crystal stands at the door of the stable as she watches her mate let his horse walk inside, she smiles when he rubs the horse's back before he locks the stables.

"Destiny has gone to bed" she informs when he walks out and hearing her, he just glances at her.

"Shall I ready a plate for you?" she asks while he walks to the bucket filled with water and splashes water in his face and washes his hands.

"She told me about her upcoming birthday, she sounded not so excited. I promised to make her a birthday cake, maybe we can throw a little party for her, she is turning fourteen soon" Crystal speaks and Connor just takes off his boots before he washes it.

"I think..."

"Did you feed the hens?" Connor asks and Crystal blinks.

"Or water the crops?" he asks when she does not reply soon enough.

"How about collecting the eggs? Did you do anything at all today?" he asks and Crystal stands quietly as she did nothing at all, except gossip with Destiny.

"We won't have any ingredients to have a proper breakfast if the crops die, we will not have any hens left to collect eggs if they are not watched properly" he starts.

"I..."

"Instead of planning the birthday we cannot afford why don't you do something useful around here. Am paying you to help around not spend the day or arrive whenever you desire. Next time you miss to come and work, don't even bother to come back and I am not paying you for today as well" he informs and Crystal stares at him in disbelief.

"It's late, go home" he asks turning his back to her and she takes a deep breath before she picks up his boot and throws at his back.

"What the..." Connor frowns as he turns only to dodge as she throws another boot of his.

"You brood" she shouts as she storms and pushes on his chest.

"I am discussing about your sister's birthday because she was upset, she never got to celebrate it. Why? Because her brother is so stupid, stupid to be ignorant enough to not make her feel good about her birthday but instead make her mourn for her mother and somehow making her feel it was because of her you both lost your mother...