14) Beta Arietis - Ready to take risks

Start from the beginning

"It doesn't seem so Ujjwal. Whenever we talk, you go on this trip about how great Nina is. Seriously Ujjwal, I think we should give ourselves space. Every time we meet, there is a new topic to fight."

"So are you breaking up with me?" Ujjwal challenged her aggressively.

"I think it is for the best."

"Fine Rumi but you will regret this. Remember I was the one who stood by you when you had nothing."

Rumi flinched at the way he said she had nothing. She figured that he wanted her to be the girl friend who felt grateful to be his companion.

Rumi didn't stop him when he left in outrage. She failed to understand his resentment. What did she do that hurt him so much? And he didn't even ask her if she clinched the role for Vasujit's movie.

With a sigh, she sat on the couch ruminating over the loss of their friendship. Did she feel pain? No she didn't but she was certain that she would miss his presence in her life. Ritika sauntered in and finding Rumi in deep thought, she made tea and brought it to her friend,

"Hey what happened?"

"We broke up," Rumi explained, "I don't understand why he is so furious. Yes, I didn't call him as soon as Yohan gave me the script but that doesn't mean that I have developed this attitude for him to complain."

"Rumi, he is insecure. Now that you have been noticed in the film industry, he feels jittery that you would dump him."

"And he keeps harping about how good Nina is."

"Ah just to make you jealous probably..." Ritika teased but Rumi was not amused that he kept comparing Nina to her.

"Anyway he swore that I would regret the decision."

Ritika took a seat next to Rumi and stroked her shoulder warmly, "Forget him Rumi. He does not deserve you. He is the same guy who deserted you on the most important day of your life. Don't fret over him. Concentrate on your career. Now that you have started getting offers, don't get side tracked," Ritika advised her friend.

"Thanks Ritika. One of the offers has slipped out of my hand."

"Oh how did it happen?"

Rumi explained about Vasujit's script and the role and his offer. When she gave the details of her conversation with Vasujit, Ritika exclaimed, "But how did Nina get to know of the offer?"

Rumi shrugged her shoulders, "Vasujit and Nina are good friends so he probably told her."

"If so, why didn't he offer her the role in the first place?"

"I don't know..."

"Rumi, do you think Ujjwal told Nina about this role?"

"What? Why would Ujjwal tell her about Vasujit's offer?"

"Probably because he is miffed that Yohan approached you?"

Rumi contemplated if that was the truth. She would never forgive Ujjwal if he had been the one who informed Nina. Rumi wondered if Nina was the one who asked Vasujit to make changes in the script.

"I am not sure Ritika. Do you think Ujjwal could stoop to such level?"

"He could if he is still carrying a torch for Nina or if he wanted to get back at you."

Put that way, it sounded plausible. "You may be right."

"Don't worry Rumi. You work your butt off for this new movie. Then we will see what that ex of yours has to say..."