25) Zeta Hydra - Trustworthy Partners

Rumi was not sure whether or not it was a hoax.

"Who are you?"

"Oh, I have been with your sister since she escaped from the village. Here, talk to her...."

"Hello...." Rumi greeted hesitatingly. Her bated breath and quivering nerves added to her anxiety. What if it was true? What if it was really her sister?

"Hello, Rumi di?" the faltering voice clutched Rumi's heartstrings.

"Yes, where are you?"

"I am staying in a hotel with mausi. She is helping me to find you."

Rumi was desperate to visit her sister and her companion at once but she was recognizable now and if she went to meet the girl, she would put everyone in danger.

"Why don't you meet me at my house?" Rumi suggested. The girl's companion, the old woman answered. "You are an actress. Is it all right if we visit you? Moreover, Rewa cannot see. She is blind. Do you mind that?"

Rumi was stricken to learn that the girl who claimed to be her sister was blind. What happened to her? It was now imperative that she keep the girl away from the snooping press. Rumi came up with an idea. She knew it would be impossible for the girl and the woman to visit her because a couple of reporters were always hanging around the building gate. So, she suggested a plan which the old woman and the girl approved.

A week later, after Mukesh's confirmation that the girl and the woman had reached the welfare home, Rumi left for Nainital.

She made sure that there were no journalists there to get a byte from her. She debated about telling Yohan but when she called him, she learnt that he was in another country for a felicitation. So, she left Mumbai after sending a brief message to Yohan.

Rumi was unusually excited to see the girl. She didn't remember much of the baby she had lost but if the same girl had grown up, then she did consider a way to find out.

When she reached the welfare home, it was almost twilight. Mukesh welcomed her.

"How are they?"

"Oh, they are fine. Rumi, do you know the girl is blind?"

Rumi nodded, aware that Mukesh did not know the connection unless, of course, the girl had already divulged. In the course of the conversation, Rumi came to know that Mukesh was still not aware of the relationship between them.

After assuring Mukesh that she was good, Rumi visited the girl and her companion. When she knocked, the door burst open at once. The thin girl was waiting eagerly with both her hands pressed together in excitement. The first thing that Rumi noticed about the girl was her eyes. They were light in colour and instantly recognizable to Rumi; exactly like her sister's. But the girl's eyes were blank and she looked younger than her age.

Rumi's eyes darted to the old woman. She nodded at her. Rumi closed the door behind her and handed the basket of fruits, snacks, and juice to the woman. She gave a gift-wrapped box to the girl.

The girl felt the paper-wrapped box with her hand and exclaimed in delight, "Oh you got me a gift. What is it?"

Rumi smiled, "Open it and see..." and then she cursed herself silently for asking the girl to see. She corrected, "I mean open it first."

The girl tore open the wrapper excitedly. Rumi studied her. The girl was very attractive although she was too frail looking. She had nice hair and there was something fragile about her mien.

"Why don't you sit down Rewa? Tell me how you found me."

"Yes di," the girl placed the half-open gift box on the floor and sat down obediently, giving away to Rumi that she had obeyed instructions demurely all her life. Rumi felt the first stirrings of sympathy for the girl.